Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #1

Share |

Garage Door open ALERT light inside house?

We looked at buying something like the Garage Door Butler - or one of about 20 different similar auto-closing devices - though the GDB has one nice extra feature - auto-close in darkness (night) that's very useful as we have gone to bed several times and left the door open over the years.

BUT, I worry about these things malfunctioning and actually opening the door when we're away - or closing at undesirable times - and they all seem to have really annoying beeps and erratic behaviors and awful battery life (on wireless sensors).

What we really WANT is a full strength light bulb in the house to be ON when the door is open. Not just a tiny little LED - (there's tons of those out there in wireless monitors)

The electronics seem very simple - wired magnetic or optical sensor, hard wired to an A/C switched outlet/bulb or D/C light of some kind. That way when we go to bed the light cannot be missed.

Does anyone know if something like this is available in kit form? Could it be an easy DIY for someone with basic skills?

Golfergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #2

My buddies dad did something similar to this for a heater he had in the garage. He did not want the heater to be able to come on if the overhead door was open. He wired a standard single pole light switch in a box right next to the door. He then mounted a stiff spring mounted arm on the door that when the door would open it tripped the switch one way and when closed it set the switch the other way. Had that setup for over 30 years and worked flawlessly the entire time.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Master Electrician

My overhead door is monitored by my security system. Flashing keypad light alerts to open door. Very helpful.
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:14 AM   #4

Do you have an attached or detached garage?
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

It's an attached garage - so I was thinking the ALERT light could just be in the laundry room - on the same wall as the door into the house.

Just enough so that when it's night - the light reminds us the door is open.
It would be configured so Open = ON / Closed = OFF - kind of the opposite of how an electrical circuit works.
But this also is not how my brain works either. Is there such a thing where the disconnected sensor can be equal to ON?
Old 12-04-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

This is a great solution if you have a security system. Add a zone and a set of contacts for the garage door and if it is open the system will report "not ready" when you go to arm the system for he night. Most modern keypads can be programmed to tell you in plain text which zone is open as in "fault zone xx - garage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by brric View Post
My overhead door is monitored by my security system. Flashing keypad light alerts to open door. Very helpful.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfergal View Post
It's an attached garage
I know to each his own but is it really that difficult or time consuming to open the entry door from the attached house to the attached garage and view if the door is garage door is open.

If you are content on having a light bulb tell you the garage door is open, a switch on the garage door track(where the garage door movement changes the switch position) could be configured with low voltage to a relay which would in turn power on a light bulb in the laundry room. Give me some more time to think about this
Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

I usually look out my back windows, but that only works while home. There are various systems that allow away monitoring with a smart phone app, and vary in costs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I know to each his own but is it really that difficult or time consuming to open the entry door from the attached house to the attached garage and view if the door is garage door is open.
That's not difficult at all of course if one wanted to spend the rest of their lives repeatedly going out to check the garage door - as opposed to noticing a light left on in the house.

If one even remembers to do it.

The point is FORGETTING that it was left open. If we forget to close it - I don't think we remembered to go check it or it wouldn't have been left open now would it?

Sorry, I do appreciate the help and inputs here - just being funny.

Of course one could use something like this - but again, the batteries die quickly and the tiny LED isn't very compelling.
http://www.amazon.com/Chamberlain-CL...ge+door+sensor
Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #10

maybe a track switch is not the best idea...maybe a door minder infrared beam sensor would be better:

http://www.electronickits.com/kit/co...lec/ck1620.htm

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
This is a great solution if you have a security system.
And that's where this ends for this house. We're not likely to go through the whole security system install just for this one little thing. Might reconsider if there was one that was entirely wireless and didn't go through batteries every 3 weeks. Maybe something to look at.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #12

You could use a normally closed magnetic switch on the door with a standard relay.

Added: You could also use a standard track switch with a normally closed relay.

Last edited by 47_47; 12-04-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added
47_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
You could use a normally closed magnetic switch on the door with a standard relay.

Added: You could also use a standard track switch with a normally closed relay.
Thanks! Something like this? -
http://www.smarthome.com/7455/Garage...SM-226L/p.aspx

Maybe time to start looking for kits then. I'm lost when it comes to what to do with a relay or how that even works exactly.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Maybe time to start looking for kits then. I'm lost when it comes to what to do with a relay or how that even works exactly
http://www.smarthome.com/74503/Garag...ter-Kit/p.aspx

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote