Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

garage conduit question

In the ceiling of my garage the previous owner had two fixtures installed which just take standard thread in bulbs. He then put in a screw type to outlet adapter and plugged a 2 t12 cfl fixture into that.

I would like to expand the lighting arrangement in the garage and am planning to replace these fixtures with standard junction boxes with outlets. In this case the 14-2+ ground comes across the attic and then drops down into the fixture. I would like to add some more surface mount outlets on my ceiling without having to cut holes and go up in the attic so I am looking at running conduit across the ceiling.

What I would like to do is some how take the existing fixture and make it into a outlet in a 1 gang box and then daisy chain off the side of it with conduit and run that to an additional outlet.

My question is, how do I go about this? I have never used conduit before. Do I just replace the existing fixture with a flush mount box and then cut through and install a gland of some kind to connect to the conduit? Is there a double depth box that will extend the box outside the surface of the drywall allowing access to the sides for conduit?

Any help appreciated, as I am totally unfamiliar with running conduit.

Thanks,
Brian

b_corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

Is the exixting box metallic, plastic, round, octagonal, rectangular?

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #3

garage conduit question

The existing box I believe is an octagon, although I am not totally sure. My intention was to replace it anyway with a plastic rectangle.

B
Old 04-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

easiest way would be to go get yourself an octogon extension ring(octogon box with no back). Use the octogon box as a junction box and nipple out one side for one plug in a utility box and then run the other side as you've stated to another utility box for the other plug. Wherever you buy your parts for this should have 1/2" connectors for conduit. I doubt your going far enough to need any couplings. make sure you ream out the inside of the conduit and remove any burrs any time you make a cut. You'll need to pick up some twhn wire as well or else you'll have to drastically upsize your conduit to put romex in it. Let us know how it goes
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

i missed the last post....if your using a box designed for a plug already then you can buy an extension ring for that particular box and do away with using the octagons as junction boxes. Personally i prefer to use metal boxes but that's all personal preference. I'm not sure wether or not the surface boxes will have to be metal or can be plastic.

one last thing...make sure you run your pipe and boxes so that the connector is in either the bottom or top of the box....don't come in the side or the threading on the connector may impede installing the plug in it. Actually it most definately will as these plugs should be gfci protected.

Last edited by andrew79; 04-12-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM   #6

garage conduit question

Excellent,
That sounds quite nice and easy. I will remove the fixture tonight and see if it is an octagon box or a rectangle. If it is an octagon box is it possible to to put a standard outlet in an octagon box?

I suppose if not I could always just extend the octagon box and put a blank plate on it, then conduit over to a surface mount box right next to it before passing over to the new outlet. Does that make sense? Kind of confusing.

But thanks for all the advice, the answer seems to be an extension box in either case.

Oh one last thing, what did you mean by twhn wires? I had planned to just use some standard 12-2+ ground as I have it lying around.

Thanks
Brian
Old 04-12-2010, 11:12 AM   #7

garage conduit question

Scratch some of that last post, I discovered that the twhn is just single wires instead of jacketed groups like romex. So i would get a box extension, and buy some 1/2" or 3/4" plastic conduit and run a black a white and a green line through the conduit to my extra outlet.

B
Old 04-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

I'd use metal conduit myself....much stronger. And yes the bit about extending the octagon box down and running a new plug right beside it is correct. 1/2" is plenty big enough for three wires....keep in mind that inside conduit a ground must be insulated green.
Old 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew79 View Post
I'd use metal conduit myself....much stronger. And yes the bit about extending the octagon box down and running a new plug right beside it is correct. 1/2" is plenty big enough for three wires....keep in mind that inside conduit a ground must be insulated green.
An insulated ground is not required in this application in the USA. It may be a bare conductor
brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

it's not needed in canada either....just prefered. I probably should have said that in the post.
You can actually use the pipe as a ground if you want(you need to use set screw fittings here for that not sure about the U.S rules). I recommend to have a seperate ground though....always better to be safe than sorry
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #11

garage conduit question

hi everyone went and checked what was behind the fixture and sure enough

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49238070@N03/4516385728/

its a standard octagon box. I will go ahead and pick up an extension and some emt conduit along with some twhn.

thanks for all the help
b
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #12

garage conduit question

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

Is a box like that suitable for surface mounting? I am having trouble finding anything that specifies surface mount?

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #13
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

no need to go to that extreme one of these will do just fine. they require a special cover though so make sure you get both parts
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #14

garage conduit question

ok and I can just screw that through my drywall to a stud?

Also, just to make sure. I plan on carrying a insulated green ground wire through the conduit. SInce all of these boxes im going to use are metal I have to ground the box as well yes?

Thanks
B
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Master Electrician

garage conduit question

yup screw it right to the stud through the drywall and bond the box and the plug with the green wire.