Are Fuses Still Used In New Construction? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Remodeler on the side

Rewards Points: 10

Are fuses still used in new construction?

I am working on running electricity to a new farm shed and installing receptacals, lights etc... Since this will be used for raising chickens the exhaust fan I am installing will be hooked to a thermostat. My friend who I am doing it for, insisted I put a box with one of the screw in fuses, on the power supply line for the fan. It will already be protected by a circuit breaker in the power supply panel. So what I'm wondering is, is this fuse necessary?
I am under the impression that those fuses were the old way that wiring was done, but I've noticed that furnaces have them even though they are protected by a breaker.

Advertisement

SilveradoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoGuy
I am working on running electricity to a new farm shed and installing receptacals, lights etc... Since this will be used for raising chickens the exhaust fan I am installing will be hooked to a thermostat. My friend who I am doing it for, insisted I put a box with one of the screw in fuses, on the power supply line for the fan. It will already be protected by a circuit breaker in the power supply panel. So what I'm wondering is, is this fuse necessary?
I am under the impression that those fuses were the old way that wiring was done, but I've noticed that furnaces have them even though they are protected by a breaker.
Fuses are still used sometimes but mostly in commercial. But this case, just ask him why he want a redundant protection?

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,326

Doing electrical work for others without being licensed can lead to trouble!
Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Remodeler on the side

The reason he wanted the fuse was because that's the way his other animal sheds are done. I tried to explain to him that the breaker will protect it, but he replied that some of the other sheds still had fuses even thought they had breakers. Whether that was true or not I didn't have time to check on at the moment, but the his one shed I did check, had the fuses like he said, but only had one of those boxes with the power shut off lever on the side, to kill the power where it came into the shed.
He's kind of an older fellow so it can be hard at times to get something across to him, but I think I'll have another go at it.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilveradoGuy
The reason he wanted the fuse was because that's the way his other animal sheds are done. I tried to explain to him that the breaker will protect it, but he replied that some of the other sheds still had fuses even thought they had breakers. Whether that was true or not I didn't have time to check on at the moment, but the his one shed I did check, had the fuses like he said, but only had one of those boxes with the power shut off lever on the side, to kill the power where it came into the shed.
He's kind of an older fellow so it can be hard at times to get something across to him, but I think I'll have another go at it.
Yeh once there an appropriate cb your fine.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Remodeler on the side

Ok.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,042

There may be a good reason to have a separate fuse for each fan. If the fan's motor is not thermally protected (many small cheap ones aren't), then it could overheat and damage itself if the fan gets jammed. Unless this is a large fan, the breaker will not trip from the stalled motor. You can install a fuse for the fan that is sized to blow if the motor stalls, thus protecting it from damage. It's easier to find fuses that are appropriately sized for this than it is to find circuit breakers with ratings that low. It also allows you to run other loads on the same circuit (ahead of the fuse) while still having good protection for the motor.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mpoulton For This Useful Post:
a_lost_shadow (01-17-2012), brric (01-17-2012)

Tags
exhaust fan , farm shed , fuses , purpose of the fuse