DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fuses replaced, Circuit still dead

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  kontoose 
#1 ·
Yesterday, I plugged my small vacuum cleaner into the same outlet as my small a/c. The circuit went dead. I went to the fuse panel and replaced the dead fuse (tested with a multimeter). The circuit is still dead. Not only that, I later discovered that everything on that side of the house is dead - outlets, ceiling fixtures and electric baseboards. I spent all yesterday evening testing every single fuse in the box, including the two main fuses between the panel and the mail switch. I still have no power on that side of the house. I was married to a contractor for awhile and so I understand the basics of electrical wiring, but this has me stumped. What else can I look at that might explain outlets and ceiling lights on two floors not working when all fuses test ok? I even went out and bought a second multimeter, just in case mine was not working properly.

:eek:

#15 ·
It kills me that people are still replying to this after she's already said she's going to hire an electrician to put in a new breaker box. Problem solved folks, and in the best possible way.

Reactions: MisterZ
#2 · (Edited)
I would take a look for a bad connection and test for power inside the outlet you plugged your vacuum into. It sounds like you blew your fuse protecting that branch circuit and replaced it but it did not restore power. All other fuses appear ok from what I can understand. I would suspect an open in the branch circuit neutral or hot conductor. That branch circuit has quite a bit of load on it when the ac is running so you probably ran the vacuum when the ac was operating and it blew the fuse from overload.
So take a non contact voltage tester and see if power is present at any of the outlets or light fixtures. If you show power but nothing works then look for a bad connection on the branch circuit neutral. It sounds like an open in the hot wire or neutral in the home run between the fuse panel and the first point where they junction the branch circuit to feed power to other points in the house. That could be the outlet you plugged your vacuum into or some place else.

Remember safety first so make sure you stay out of contact with any wiring until you deenergize that branch circuit.

#3 ·
Lost the leg that handles the circuits that are dead. Call a licensed electrician to look everything over, also may want to contact the Power company to look at their side. Most power companies will also make a visual of the panel, if they do not see anything outside, to see if the problem is inside. In turn, they will pull the meter if it is a danger to property or inhabitants, and require that a electrician fix the problem and sign off that it has been resolved.

#4 ·
Did you test for power at the main fuse block ? Continuity is fine but you must also check for power to eliminate a lost hot leg as Greg is mentioning. I made the assumtion that since your using a multimeter you also checked for power (voltage) at the main fuse block..

#5 ·
Thanks to both Stubie and Greg. You helped me understand that the problem could be much more than just a blown fuse.

As for testing for voltage at that main block, although I did test that, I think I think that is out of my league now. I do know when to call in the licensed people!

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.:thumbup:

#6 ·
If you went out and got good fuses, they did not work, or you did a continuity before you put them in, or checked again, when they did mot work the first time, if they were on hand, and everything else looks good, it does not hurt to take the next step.

It does not hurt to call in the PoCo if you have power on one leg, and not the other. Especially with old wiring and still having a fuse panel, not breaker, things happen.

If you are renting, not own, let the building owner know what is going on. Since you are in Ontario, we have a couple of licensed professionals on here that are also in Canada/Ontario that can hopefully chime in.

#8 · (Edited)
Probably not the power company side. I would suspect you took out one of your main fuses. You have breaker style main with fusebox, push in fuses, or fusable disconnect? Keep in mind any 240v motor loads you have won't function. Such as a well pump and these fuses should be pulled to prevent damage to the equipment. I wouldn't use the baseboards or the oven either but the lost leg shouldn't harm them if they get turned on. They just won't work right.

#10 ·
No not if one legs out.

#11 ·
Hello Andrew. I checked both the main fuses. They were ok. I replaced them anyway. Still have no power. I've been meaning to have an electrician come and replace that old fuse box with one that has breakers. Guess I might as well do that now! Thanks for your suggestions! :)

#12 ·
Good plan. Check out the gov websites on grants sometimes they have a tax break or something for getting rid of a fusebox. Will save you a couple bucks maybe.

#14 ·

What is the rating of the fuse?

I'm betting the fuse was overrated, and the overload - (using two high current appliances -- burnt out either a "hot" connection, or more likely, a neutral connection.

You can't fix this yourself...sorry:(

You may need to call a good electrician to fix the problem...:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.