Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM   #1

Share |
Question

fuses to circuit breakers!! help!!

This is my first time on here but I am hoping someone can helpme. here is my problem we are selling our house and we currently have 60 amp fuses with 100amp box outside. my father in law was going to help a friend who is an electrician install the 100 amp circuit but his friend got sick and is no longer available to do it. now we still have to install it because it is in our sales flyer but we can't afford to pay a lot. my father in laws friend said it wouldn't be hard but now my father in law's business partner (they are in remodling) came by and says he belives we need a subpanel and he will call his electrician to get a bid. is there anyway we can save money by doing some of the work ourselves and how do i know if we need a sub panal or if they are in it for the money??? any answers or suggestions greatly appreciated we close in 2 1/2 weeks we need to move fast
thanks

ilovemyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

For the electrical, there is no saving money, due to a licensed electrician has to install, and the power company only has so much time to pull the meter head and wait for the Electrician to wire the mains so that the meter can be reinstalled.

I do my own electrical for myself, and that is due to Navy Training, and working with my father who was licensed, but stuff like Power Panels, I hire someone else to do, due to too much headaches, and they have everything on the truck for a one trip job.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Agent 000

There's a large difference between a DIY'er installing an outlet or hanging a ceiling fan vs. installing a sub panel. Unless you have an intimate knowledge of the NEC (National Electric Code), are familiar with electrical installation best practices and materials, can secure an electrical permit from the township... then you're much better off leaving this one to the professionals.

Quote:
how do i know if we need a sub panal or if they are in it for the money???
You're allowed to have as many contractors as you want to submit a bid on your project. Throw away the highest and lowest bid and you should have a good median representation of what it will take to complete the task.

Perhaps you can find someone that will belay the invoice for 30 days, until after you close on the house and have sufficient funds.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #4
retired

Do you already have a sales agreement in place to sell the house? If so, does it state you will have the service upgraded? You really need to have an electrician do this for you because of the potential liability if something goes wrong after you've sold it. You can't just walk away after the sale and wipe your hands of the whole thing if you know there is a problem with the house the buyer has not knowingly accepted. If you do the upgrade in order to sell the house, and botch it up, you could end up in big trouble.

If the buyer will take the house as is, and there aren't other rules requiring you to upgrade the service upon the sale, knock a few hundred off the price and be done with it. Let the buyer take the gamble on the cost of upgrading.

If you have no choice but to do the upgrade, and it ends up costing you more than you can really afford, you have our empathy but there's not much we can do to help.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Nowdays, most sales state that stuff like plumbing and electrical has to be brought up to code as a contingency of the sale. When we bought our house, the electrical had to be changed from fuse panel to breaker due to the contract contingency.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #6

Smile

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED I THINK WE ARE GOING TO TRY AND GET A FEW MORE BIDS AND SEE WHAT WE CAN DO.

ilovemyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote