Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 AM   #1

Share |

Fuse cocket switch - is this okay?!

Hi all,

My grandma has just moved house, and the new place has a heat/smell removal/distribution unit in it, this is set to run continually because it does not have a switch or anything. There is a fuse socket next to it, and that has a little switch which you have to put a screwdriver in to turn on/off. (Note, im not talking about the consumer unit, Im talking about an actual socket changer unit, which is just a single fuse for that circuit)
Does anyone know if it okay to use thats as a daily thing, (i.e turning it on and off by this fuse switch a couple of times every day)

Any advise would be much appreciated.
Matt
Speakersrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:06 AM   #2

Hi all,

I have since found out that what I am wanting to do is not suitable long term.

However, does anyone have any ideas of how I could get around this problem please.

Whats the best thing I can do?

This is a similar product (I am unsure of the exact model) but it is very similar, and from the same company. (Wiring diagram on their site.)

http://www.vent-axia.com/products/vacas/hr204.asp

Again, and help would be much appreciated.
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 AM   #3

The house is probably newer and well sealed. There is not enough air turn over with normal operation. That unit is a heat recovery ventilator and is required to keep the air within the house habitable. You should not be truning it off.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #4

Thanks, and sorry I forgot to mention!...
I have checked about this and I can turn it off so long as it is on sometimes.

Any Ideas please!?
Old 04-17-2008, 09:46 AM   #5
Licensed Electrician

Why do you feel you can't use the switch in the fuse/switch assembly? Sounds like a pain having to use a screw driver though. The unit you linked to shows a timer unit. That might be a good option for you. Hire an electrician and he will advise you once he sees it. A simple light switch can be installed also.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #6

I was wondering whether it was safe to use the fuse switch all the time.
I asked a guy who knew a bit about this stuff, and he says you shouldn't use it all the time. - I just needed clarification.

Yeah, a nice switch would properably be a good idea!

Out of interest (I won't explain exactly what im thinking) but how would this actually be wired in? Would it just be plugged into a socket in the wall or what?

(Sorry to ask this, but of course as it is at my Grandma's I don't know!)

Many thanks for you help.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #7

Hit the library and study up a bit on basic wiring. Then it will probably be clear how to install the switch. If you have any specific questions folks will be happy to help you here. But asking a broad question like how do I add a switch means that you don't yet have enough basic electrical knowledge to install this (and one would have to write a book to help you). Do your homework and then, if you have a specific question, post it.
jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 02:50 PM   #8
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakersrock View Post
I was wondering whether it was safe to use the fuse switch all the time.
I asked a guy who knew a bit about this stuff, and he says you shouldn't use it all the time. - I just needed clarification.

Yeah, a nice switch would properably be a good idea!

Out of interest (I won't explain exactly what im thinking) but how would this actually be wired in? Would it just be plugged into a socket in the wall or what?

(Sorry to ask this, but of course as it is at my Grandma's I don't know!)

Many thanks for you help.
Your guy might be thinking you are talking about the circuit breaker used as a switch.

Most likely the unit is wired with a circuit from the service panel circuit breaker to the switch/fuse assemble, and then on to the unit. A switch would just be installed in the hot wire (black) somewhere in that circuit. See the picture here. The switch would need to be in a box of course. Hire an electrician if you aren't sure how to do the wiring. Be sure the circuit is off if you do this yourself.
http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/swtch.gif
Old 04-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #9

jogr, Thanks for your response. I do know some sketchy basics of wiring. I didn't mean for you guys to tell me how to install he swicth itself, an Im sorry if thats how it came across to you. Still, perhaps I will do a little more learning towards it.

jrclen, yeah, thats a good point. I will remember that, And I should think he might possibly be thinking that. - Thanks.

And okay, thanks for that, I think I do know how to do that.

The reason I was wondering if it might be on a socket for was because I have seen those units you can plug into sockets, and then the electrical item onto tat, and this enable you to turn the socket on and off with a remote, I was thinking this would be ideal for my Grandma, she wouldn't even have to go into the cupboard.

Still, yeah, I'll look more into pooping a switch on the curcit, sounds a good solution. Do you have any obvious comments to what I was just talking about, however?
Old 04-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #10

Speed 1 80V 16W Speed 2 100V 27W Speed 3 120V 40W Speed 4 140V 52W Speed 5 160V 65W Speed 6 240V 111W

Keep it on low speed? That's 3 night lights!
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Licensed Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post

Speed 1 80V 16W Speed 2 100V 27W Speed 3 120V 40W Speed 4 140V 52W Speed 5 160V 65W Speed 6 240V 111W

Keep it on low speed? That's 3 night lights!
That is exactly what I have been thinking. Run it on low and just leave it alone. Granny wouldn't have to be bothered by it at all. Speed 2 would cost $1.75 per month with the rates in my area. Speed 1 would cost $1.04. And the unit would actually do it's job.

How about that speakersrock? My second choice would be a timer.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:58 AM   #12

yeah, good idea!

-besides these two thins.
Its not so much the cost she is worried about. Se says "When I sit down at night the cold air comes down on top of her" and she sits there at night with her hat and scarf on!!

The other thing is the noise it makes. Her new apartment is just on one floor, and the unit is in a central cupboard which almost ever room surrounds! (Lazy construction lol.)

But the other main point is, I can't actually find any speed settings!!!

Other than that I guess it would be a great idea, running it on one would reduce the flow of air I guess, plus save on noise and electricity.

Thanks, but maybe I'll just have to sick it on a timer or something yeah.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakersrock View Post
yeah, good idea!

-besides these two thins.
Its not so much the cost she is worried about. Se says "When I sit down at night the cold air comes down on top of her" and she sits there at night with her hat and scarf on!!

The other thing is the noise it makes. Her new apartment is just on one floor, and the unit is in a central cupboard which almost ever room surrounds! (Lazy construction lol.)

But the other main point is, I can't actually find any speed settings!!!

Other than that I guess it would be a great idea, running it on one would reduce the flow of air I guess, plus save on noise and electricity.

Thanks, but maybe I'll just have to sick it on a timer or something yeah.
Looks like the speed control is an optional accessory - get it, and install it, it;s probably running on high right now.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #14

Okay, yeah. I think its currently using some kindof 3'rd party controller in the cupboard, prehaps I'll just rip thjat out and stick a controller on there like you said.

Well thanks a lot for all your help.