Fuse Boxes For Showers - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fuse Boxes For Showers

My flat was totally rewired about 25yrs ago and I have a separate MEM consumer unit which holds a 30amp HRC Cartridge Fuse for my shower leading into my main fuse box which and electrician did when I first got my first shower.

I have recently had to replace my old shower which was a Triton
T80 and that ran on a 30 amp fuse, which was attached to an older 1 way MEM Consumer Unit. Now as far as the shower was concerned that was easy to swap them in the bathroom. Now after asking Triton what shower to replace my old one with, they advised me that I had to get a 45 amp fuse for the Triton T80si to work.

Now all the wiring is in place from the last shower, nothing has been disturbed. However when I went to put the 45 amp fuse in, it wouldn't fit, because the holder wasn't big enough. However I have come across a problem, that when I got the new holder, the pins on the new holder face length ways, instead of straight across. Now I wondering if there is a holder that can hold my 45amp fuse, with pins going across between the fuse or do I have to get a new consumer unit.

Please can someone advise me, because I feel the electrician I saw today was talking way over my head and his list was endless in what he wanted to do which would of cost me in access of 1000 which I simply don't have and to be honest the main switch box in in good condition so I don't really think it needs replacing, and I have been trying to look through the websites for advice as to what I really need, but I just don't seem to be able to find the component needed.

I'm sorry to be vague,however I have tried to look up what I am saying to you, so that you can understand. What I am trying to find out is what I do actually need so that I can ask a local electrician to fit the right component without it costing me a fortune which I don't have.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Take care
Petrena

Advertisement

Petrena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fuse Boxes For Showers

Most of us are familiar with North American wiring methods and equipment on this site. Perhaps frenchelectrician can assist, or perhaps someone knows what's done on that side of the pond.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fuse Boxes For Showers

I'm guessing, but I think that your shower unit has its own hot water heater associated with it.
The old shower heater demanded 30 amps to operate.
The new shower and its heater now demand 45 amps to operate.
The wires and what you call the consumer unit, ( what we would refer to as a fused disconnect) are rated to carry 30 amps.
Now, due to the increased current requirements (45 amps) the consumer unit and the wires that connect to your new shower, must be replaced, so as to carry the additional load.
The price quoted for this job seems to be too expensive ($1500 USD), by our standards.
You should ask for estimates from other electricians.

Last edited by Wildie; 09-12-2008 at 11:53 PM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fuse Boxes For Showers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrena View Post
My flat was totally rewired about 25yrs ago and I have a separate MEM consumer unit which holds a 30amp HRC Cartridge Fuse for my shower leading into my main fuse box which and electrician did when I first got my first shower.

I have recently had to replace my old shower which was a Triton
T80 and that ran on a 30 amp fuse, which was attached to an older 1 way MEM Consumer Unit. Now as far as the shower was concerned that was easy to swap them in the bathroom. Now after asking Triton what shower to replace my old one with, they advised me that I had to get a 45 amp fuse for the Triton T80si to work.
The main issue will affect this set up is the MEM consumer unit due the UK regulations they did change not too long ago., As I am typing they did add RCD requirement now at the main point centre. { for shower waterheater circuit }

And the other thing is the T&E { twin and earth } cable may have to change due the load requirement I do not know if you have 4MM or 6MM wire size and you should have electrician double check the connection and the earth connection is very critcial on shower heater device.

Quote:
Now all the wiring is in place from the last shower, nothing has been disturbed. However when I went to put the 45 amp fuse in, it wouldn't fit, because the holder wasn't big enough. However I have come across a problem, that when I got the new holder, the pins on the new holder face length ways, instead of straight across. Now I wondering if there is a holder that can hold my 45amp fuse, with pins going across between the fuse or do I have to get a new consumer unit.
Now this is the other matter here due if you have cartage fuse or daizied fuse they are not really interchangable due the design so the oringal 30 amp fuse will be complety differnt than the new 45 amp fuse due the demison size.
The fuseholder that should be done by UK electrician due the comuster unit regulations and the spacing requirement can get ya by suprised if not done right.

Oh yeah the other matter will get ya is the colour codes they did change a bit on that one in case you wondering about that.

Quote:
Please can someone advise me, because I feel the electrician I saw today was talking way over my head and his list was endless in what he wanted to do which would of cost me in access of 1000 which I simply don't have and to be honest the main switch box in in good condition so I don't really think it needs replacing, and I have been trying to look through the websites for advice as to what I really need, but I just don't seem to be able to find the component needed.
Unforetally once a electrician start working on the system that person have no choice but have to meet the current electrical regulations but you should check with other electrician to make sure if they are withen right on the spot and I do not know if the exsting system can be " grandfathered ".,, It is not much differnt situation in the North America area or other area

Some case yes it may need permits and inspections to order to meet the codes in your area.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote