Fuse Box Test - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Fuse box test

Hi, I have a fuse box in my home in which one of the circuits is dead. After testing various outlets, includinding GFI to no prevail i decided to go back to the beginning. I unscrewed the fuse from the circuit in question and tested for voltage and found none. Now the other two circuits in the same fuse block has voltage, ( see attached diagram below). My question is, am i correct in my assumption that something is wrong with that block or could it be something else like an open somewhere which i could not find? Thank you for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuse box test-fuse-box.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by whitelightning6; 02-22-2009 at 12:05 PM.
whitelightning6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Fuse box test

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelightning6 View Post
Hi, I have a fuse box inwhich one of the circuits is dead.
like an open somewhere which i could not find?
I guess the fuse socket springy center contact may be flattened and not making contact with the fuse?

Advertisement

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #3

Fuse box test

??? there are no springs that i'm aware of in a fuse box. If you could elaberate that would be helpful.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048

Fuse box test

Pull the main fuse block and examine the sockets of several fuses. Do they have a bottom contact with give to it? There is no coil spring but often there is some springiness anyway. If the contact in the fuse socket in question is stuck too far down, it won't make contact with the bottom tip of the fuse. You can see if it will pry back up a little but do not use force.

Since you mentioned and drew fuse blocks, sometimes these pull out or snap out. The metal strips or fingers that match up with the panel frame could get oxidized not making good contact. If the block does pull out, pull it out and re-insert it several times; this helps clean off the contacts. Also sand the contact strips with very fine sandpaper if they look dirty.

Most panels with fuses (as opposed to breakers) are many decades old. In a damp basement the innards including the copper parts can literally rust apart.

Contacts and wires screwed or riveted together can also oxidize resulting in poor contact. These joints will overheat and arc (give off sparks) resulting in self destruction. If this happened to the circuit in question in your panel it is usually not worth fixing.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-01-2009 at 02:01 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #5

Fuse box test

Thanks, i'll take a look at that.