Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
ajm

Rewards Points: 10

Fuse box de-mystification for new outlets

I took a good look at the inter workings of my yes fuse box in basement. It only serves the common electric in my multiple family. In any event there are two open circuits. I want to add two dedicated outlets 20a (12gauge). My questions are (assume I will not put in new breaker box)

1) the neutral wire. There is a row of screws which hold all neutrals. It doesn't matter what spot/screw any of the neutrals are on correct?
2) fuse types: I have 4 s type and 4 t type slots unfortunately I found 2 of the 20a had 14 wire on them. I know the rules so how do in change the s type sockets on box to only accept 15 fuses? (I suppose another option is just flip flop the circuits and use that one for my new 20a run and put that run on a 15a TL fuse)
3) I should use a T (or S) not TL or SL for
Pumps I take it but how about minibreaker fuses? ( 3 in the box now) 2 unused. rest of fuses washer, outlets,lights etc "L"s are fine correct?
4) I also have one W type which I should trash correct?
5) my furnace is wired with 14 wire to dedicated circuit and per the burner manual, but is on a 20a s fuse I assume I should change that to a 15? Hence question 1

Thanks all!
AJ

Last edited by ajm; 04-22-2011 at 09:36 PM.
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,026

You can move a 14 gauge wire to a 15 amp fuse slot so a 12 gauge wire can be added to the 20 amp fuse slot.

You can use any of the neutral terminals for your new cable's neutral. Only one neutral wire per terminal.

All nuetrals must be on the terminal strip (bus bar) to which the fat neutral coming in from the meter is attached. Ground wires may be on a different terminal strip fastened to the metal fuse box.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-23-2011 at 07:09 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
ajm

Rewards Points: 10

Great. I need to check were the grounds are going. Just to make sure I don't fry myself, there is a main fuse cartridge and another for the dryer. I assume if I just pull the main all terminals will be off correct? Or do I need to remove all fuses as well to be sure

Thanks.
ajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

Pulling the main cartridge should kill everything. But check with a voltmeter to be sure everything is off, in case there is a defect or bad connection in a panel that old.