Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Fuse Box

Hi all,

I'm new here, so go easy on me :p. I'm looking to purchase a home that has a fuse box. Is it a bad thing to have a fuse box as opposed to circuit breakers? :confused:

Meari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Fuse Box

Not necessarily. But....if the electrical system is that old that it is still fuses you would more than likely be well served to have the service upgraded.
Bear in mind, this is not anything that is the responsibility of the seller. It is not a required or madatory upgrade.

Old 07-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #3

Question

Fuse Box

I found out the service is 60 amp. Shouldn't it be around 100 or something? (Can you tell I'm green?? ) Is it expensive to have the service upgraded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Not necessarily. But....if the electrical system is that old that it is still fuses you would more than likely be well served to have the service upgraded.
Bear in mind, this is not anything that is the responsibility of the seller. It is not a required or madatory upgrade.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Fuse Box

Yes. If you upgrade the min. is now 100 amps. But like Petey said. This is something you will have to take care of. I don't think you will be able to have the seller replace.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:13 PM   #5

Fuse Box

I realize this would not be the seller's responsibility. I'm just trying to get an idea of what things should be done and the costs associated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan
Yes. If you upgrade the min. is now 100 amps. But like Petey said. This is something you will have to take care of. I don't think you will be able to have the seller replace.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Fuse Box

Meari,

The reason we say this is many of these #$%@# home inspectors make it seem like a service upgrade is mandatory, and the seller's responsibility. When most times it is a good idea but not a crucial upgrade.
I personally think it is just one of the ways home inspectors try to justify their existance, since usually they don't seem to notice the critical structural problems hidden in the dark crawl space.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #7

Talking

Fuse Box

I'm selling my 60 amp house and the buyer just expressed concern with the elctric being updated. You aren't my buyer, are you? Chance in a million. I came here to ask the same type of questions!

HilleMary is offline   Reply With Quote