Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2007, 04:07 PM   #1

Share |

furnace or electrical help

I had a problem last year with power going out in certain rooms in the house when the furnace was on, i had an electrician look at the circuit breaker and tighten some of the screws which he said were loose after that i havent had any problems with the power going out. Looks like it started up again and it only seems to happen when the blower kicks in on the furnace. Could a furnace blower cut power to certain portions of the house. I went ahead and tested this today but cutting power to the affected areas of the house via the circuit breaker by leaving just the lights to the furnace room and furnace on, and again when the blower kicked in the lights flickered a bit and then the power went out on the furnace. Can anyone help not sure if this is a furnace issue or Electrical issue.

Thanks

Ian

tuasoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM   #2

Does your furnace have a 60 and 30 amp breaker in it? Are you using emergency heat? Emergency heat uses a lot of juice. The house i live in now has this kind of furnace, when the blower kicks on the lights dim for a quick second then come back on no problem. When you say your power went out, do you mean your main breaker kicked off or one /some of your breakers tripped?

Last edited by RichyL; 11-25-2007 at 04:41 PM.
RichyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #3

the power is out not sure about the furnace amp i live in a townhome. when the power goes out the the circuit breaker for the rooms affected are still on they don't trip the only way for me to get the power back on is resetting the main breaker to the whole house, but now even reseting this doesnt bring the power back up, now it will eventually come on when it feels like it and then when the blower kicks in the power goes back out.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Electrician philosopher

I don't typically recommend this...But in this case I'd call a licensed electrician.

Andy
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post
I don't typically recommend this...But in this case I'd call a licensed electrician.

Andy
Agreed. This is not a diy project.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy in ATL View Post

Andy
im going to call our local COMED to look at the meter socket because it seems to affect every other circuit on the circuit breaker.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Electrician philosopher

You are trying to lose a leg...I know this sounds crazy, but it is much easier when you lose the leg completely. That forces the POCO into action.
Andy in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #8

Is the main breaker tripping?

You mentioned every other breaker. This suggests one entire leg (of the two in a 120/240 volt system) is affected. There could be a problem somewhere along the line from the main panel upstream to the meter and possibly further upstream to the service entrance.

A loose connection often heats up and oxidizes and becomes worse and worse. There could be random sudden losses of power without breaker tripping if the connection is loose enough to lose contact within. There could be dimming of lights. This is where the power comes back when it feels like, the metal parts cool down and move slightly and remake contact. At the loose connection, surrounding components, breakers, bus bars, conduits, brackets, etc. can be damaged too.

Dare you feel the surface of the main panel (without taking the cover off yet) to see if overheating is occurring there?

Want to go looking at another thread right here in this forum about the main breaker blowing when a dryer is turned on? This describes someone else's loose connection situation that shows severe symptoms when a heavy load is turned on, not enough to trip the individual breaker for that load (clothes dryer or stove). In his case the main breaker didn't trip because of an electrical overload but rather because the loose connection was next to it. The heat generated tripped the main breaker. Click here:
http://diychatroom.com/showthread.php?t=13712
Just a lot of gruesome reading and some barbs hurled back and forth.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Is the main breaker tripping?

There could be a problem somewhere along the line from the main panel upstream to the meter and possibly further upstream to the service entrance.

A loose connection often heats up and oxidizes and becomes worse and worse. There could be random sudden losses of power without breaker tripping if the connection is loose enough to lose contact within. There could be dimming of lights. At the loose connection, surrounding components, breakers, bus bars, conduits, brackets, etc. can be damaged too.

Dare you feel the surface of the main panel (without taking the cover off yet) to see if overheating is occurring there?

Want to go looking at another thread right here in this forum about the main breaker blowing when a dryer is turned on? This describes someone else's loose connection situation that shows severe symptoms when a heavy load is turned on, not enough to trip the individual breaker for that load (clothes dryer or stove). In his case the main breaker didn't trip because of an electrical overload but rather because the loose connection was next to it. The heat generated tripped the main breaker.
Thanks the last time this happened the electrician said the meter wire was lose so i have the local poco at the house now he's been here a while so i wonder if something is wrong. unfortunately im not at home and my neigbor said he's been in the backyard pocking around the meter.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuasoi View Post
Thanks the last time this happened the electrician said the meter wire was lose so i have the local poco at the house now he's been here a while so i wonder if something is wrong. unfortunately im not at home and my neigbor said he's been in the backyard pocking around the meter.
and to answer you question the breaker is not tripping the power is going out
Old 11-25-2007, 06:49 PM   #11

Quote:
and none of the breakers are hot
Old 11-25-2007, 06:52 PM   #12

Quote:
and none of the breakers are hot
poco just called me it looks like the meter block i gotto find out how this is going to cost.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #13

good luck. keep us updated

Here is a good article of your situation http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/mnpn.htm

Last edited by RichyL; 11-25-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyL View Post
good luck. keep us updated

Here is a good article of your situation http://www.thecircuitdetective.com/mnpn.htm
Problem Fixed

All it was was a loose bolt to one the legs that was going into the house from the meter block. Thanks to everyone who answered.