Funny Odor - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

funny odor

Is it comon for recessd lights to give off an odor the frist time they are powered on? There was a strange greasy metalic odor the today after I installe bulbs and fired them up.

Advertisement

DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

funny odor

Did they get sprayed or coated with anything during construction?
Thats kind of strange. I've often experienced this with electric heaters of all sorts - as a matter of fact this is NORMAL for electric heat during 1st time start-up, but recess lights? No.

I think maybe something might have gotten on them.

This isn't a burning smell, is it?

Advertisement

"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:37 AM   #3

funny odor

It isn't really a burning smell. it smells hot and kind of metallic. i thought that maybe there was some oily residue on the cans from manufacturing. if they use an oil during manufacturing as a lubricant. i installed these in my basement ceiling as i am in the processs of finishing it. i wired the recessed lights the same way the original lights were wired. 14/2 to first light from breaker box, 14/3 to the rest of the lights, to the switch in the basement, and to the switch at the top of the stairs. The red wires of the 14/3 are going to the black wire of the lights, the black wire is being carried through (black wire in to black wire out) and the white wires in and out are connected to the white of the lights, and the grounds to the ground of the light. the cans themselves get really hot. maximium 75 watts is what they are rated and i have 75 watt bulbs in them. The lights are HALO brand, 6", IC rated , new construction. Is there anything else I should check? I thought maybe it was just a break-in smell until the lights get broken in a little. Any thoughts?
Old 07-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 250

funny odor

You could try smaller wattage bulbs for a while. See if the smell lessens or goes away, then change back.

Sorry, I wish I could give you a better answer, but this is a new one for me.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #5

funny odor

Thanks JohnJ. I switched out to 60 watt bulbs. I was down in the basement working last night and had the lights on the whole timw. The smell is going away. I think it was just some kind of residue on the cans from manufacturing that was burning off as the cans got hot. I asked a gut I work with and he said his did the same thing for the first few times he had the lights on.

thanks for the suggestions!