Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2011, 12:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fridge/Disposal on same Circuit

Like to get others' thoughts on this...

Currently disposal is on dedicated 15A circuit. Disposal is rated at 6.9A.

In process of basement remodel turning part of basement into more of a living area/den/playroom. We currently have a 2nd fridge in the basement. I'd like to get the basement fridge on its own circuit - essentially I don't want to have other outlets in the basement on the same circuit as the fridge because god knows what else will end up getting plugged into that circuit. Problem is breaker space is limited actually giving the fridge its own circuit isn't a realistic option. I've come up with a couple of options that I'm curious to here a response from the pros...and very willing to listen to any others.

My first option is to try and limit the number of additional outlets on the fridge circuit as much as possible.

Second thought I had was to tie the fridge into the disposal circuit. Fridge is rated at 6.5A so combined they would be 13.4A, which is above the 80% recommended but below the 15A breaker. Have a feeling this is frowned upon or just plain illegal, but just trying to think of different ideas that don't incorporate a dedicated circuit for my fridge outlet.

Thanks

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atskodinski View Post
Like to get others' thoughts on this...

Currently disposal is on dedicated 15A circuit. Disposal is rated at 6.9A.

In process of basement remodel turning part of basement into more of a living area/den/playroom. We currently have a 2nd fridge in the basement. I'd like to get the basement fridge on its own circuit - essentially I don't want to have other outlets in the basement on the same circuit as the fridge because god knows what else will end up getting plugged into that circuit. Problem is breaker space is limited actually giving the fridge its own circuit isn't a realistic option. I've come up with a couple of options that I'm curious to here a response from the pros...and very willing to listen to any others.

My first option is to try and limit the number of additional outlets on the fridge circuit as much as possible.

Second thought I had was to tie the fridge into the disposal circuit. Fridge is rated at 6.5A so combined they would be 13.4A, which is above the 80% recommended but below the 15A breaker. Have a feeling this is frowned upon or just plain illegal, but just trying to think of different ideas that don't incorporate a dedicated circuit for my fridge outlet.

Thanks
Can you use tandem breakers to expand your capacity? I'd rather keep the fridge on a separate circuit (my fridge is on a mostly dedicated circuit; the fridge plus one convenience receptacle in an adjoining room).

clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:05 AM   #3

Panel is the kind that doesn't accept tandems. Was my original plan before I discovered that fun info.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #4

Does anyone know at least if this violates code?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 268

What about adding a 60A subpanel? You could locate it next to the main panel, move some circuits to the sub, and have room to spare.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
Electrician

Rewards Points: 518

If you live in the Great White North(a.k.a Canada) then what you propose goes against code. Our fridges need a dedicated circuit.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldenL View Post
What about adding a 60A subpanel? You could locate it next to the main panel, move some circuits to the sub, and have room to spare.
I've thought about that option. Here's kind of how that would go and someone tell me if I'm off on anything.

Currently have a 100A, 20 space HOM20M100C Load center. Thought about adding a subpanel like the one attached. Because of space constraints, I would have to mount the subpanel beneath the main panel...connection between the two would be conduit about an 1" long. Subpanel would only be about 43" off the floor, but behind a closet type door.

If I were to make it a 60A subpanel, I would use a 60A double pole breaker from my 18/20 slots on my main breaker to the main lugs on my subpanel. 6awg wire, correct?

This sound about right? Guess my biggest concern at the moment is whether mounting sub below the main is Ok and whether the 43" height above the floor is kosher.
Attached Images