Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 AM   #1

Share |

freezer outlet/lights issue

I'm doing some renos in my basement and ran into an interesting (to me) problem.
My freezer has an extension cord running to it from an outlet in the hall and I don't like that.
I decided to put an outlet closer to the freezer in a box that was already on the wall next to the furnace.
There is wiring from the breaker panel going straight to that box where it connects to wiring going upstairs to my jetted tub. It looks like the box is just used where they joined the wires together rather than running wires all the way from the breaker panel to the tub.
There is a circuit breaker in the panel that's labeled "tub jets". When I turn it off the jets dont work.
In the box there is a black wire and a white wire from the breaker panel connected to black and white wires going to the tub. The box is also grounded through the green wire.
I figured it would be easy to just install an outlet in the box so I did that.
I disconnected the wires where they were twisted together and hooked them up to the outlet. Black wires on the right side, white on the left, ground to the ground terminal.
Now when I plug the freezer into the outlet it turns on but so do the lights in my downstairs bathroom, but not quite at full brightness. When I turn on the light switch in the downstairs bathroom the lights go to full brightness.
When I shut off the breaker for the tub jets upstairs the lights in the downstairs bathroom still work by the switch so to me that again proves they are on a completely different circuit.
What am I doing wrong?
Could there be counter EMF from the freezer compressor motor powering up the downstairs bathroom lights through the breaker panel?
Or?
What do I do to fix this?
Thanks in advance.

racerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #2
" Euro " electrician

freezer outlet/lights issue

All my answer is in Bleu colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerguy View Post
I'm doing some renos in my basement and ran into an interesting (to me) problem.
My freezer has an extension cord running to it from an outlet in the hall and I don't like that.
A. that fine the less extendison cord you have around the better you have there.
I decided to put an outlet closer to the freezer in a box that was already on the wall next to the furnace.
are you talking about the juction box with blank cover ? if so some case there is a spice or connection to feed other parts. et how many cables in that box?
There is wiring from the breaker panel going straight to that box where it connects to wiring going upstairs to my jetted tub. It looks like the box is just used where they joined the wires together rather than running wires all the way from the breaker panel to the tub.
How it was wired oringally ? is there a GFCI recepectale or GFCI breaker to protect this ?
There is a circuit breaker in the panel that's labeled "tub jets". When I turn it off the jets dont work.
In the box there is a black wire and a white wire from the breaker panel connected to black and white wires going to the tub. The box is also grounded through the green wire.
Just two cables?? or there is three cables ?? ( note I am not talking about indivual conductors just the cable < a pair or set of two wires >)
I figured it would be easy to just install an outlet in the box so I did that.
I disconnected the wires where they were twisted together and hooked them up to the outlet. Black wires on the right side, white on the left, ground to the ground terminal.
Ok did you look very closely if there were any remarked conductors you may have to look little closer to this one.
Now when I plug the freezer into the outlet it turns on but so do the lights in my downstairs bathroom, but not quite at full brightness. When I turn on the light switch in the downstairs bathroom the lights go to full brightness.

I betcha that someone did took a netural from diffrent circuit which it will result as the situation you have there. And do you have any switch loops in that circuit or other circuits ( you will have to investage both circuits)
When I shut off the breaker for the tub jets upstairs the lights in the downstairs bathroom still work by the switch so to me that again proves they are on a completely different circuit.
What am I doing wrong?
Could there be counter EMF from the freezer compressor motor powering up the downstairs bathroom lights through the breaker panel?
Or?
What do I do to fix this?
Thanks in advance.
As you follow my answer it will show up what you are looking for.

Merci,
Marc