Frayed Insulation On POCO Connection - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Frayed insulation on POCO connection

Hi all. Sorry for the double-dip on the non-DIY questions. After I put up our Christmas lights, my wife noticed that the insulation on the wires on our side of the POCO connection is frayed before it enters the conduit to the basement. The conduit goes up from the basement on the outside of the house, through the roof, and up a few feet further. Our electrician is coming tomorrow morning, but I wanted to know what the experts here have to say. I expect the wires will have to be replaced, but I want to know what to expect beyond that.

The pictures aren't very good, and I wasn't close enough to get a good look anyway. It looked to me like there were two layers of insulation and the outer was frayed, but I don't know about these things and, like I said, I couldn't really get a good look. The fraying on the insulation one of the hot wires (the uninsulated wire from the POCO is neutral and the other two are hot, correct?) is worst near the top where it enters the conduit, but it's hard to see that in the pictures.

Thanks in advance!

edit: Apparently, I can't embed an image on Google drive, so here are some links to the pictures:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5p...Ed4UG9RZ1FlV2M
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5p...0N4S0FjYVdJNFE
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5p...HhseTFxdnZkNWM
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5p...mdicWxrdV9hcjg

Advertisement

Last edited by mysterd429; 12-01-2012 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Clarified how conduit runs
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

If it's just the outer coating you should be fine. The outer is just the gas and oil resistant coating.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
mysterd429 (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
Idiot Emeritus

Rewards Points: 1,078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
If it's just the outer coating you should be fine. The outer is just the gas and oil resistant coating.
Yep, that's the nylon outer covering. It also makes pulling the wire through conduit easier.

The outer covering is not sunlight resistant, so it'll chaff off over time if installed outdoors. The actual insulation under it is sunlight resistant, and it'll stand the test of time.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
mysterd429 (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks, folks. I appreciate the quick replies. Do you think the wire should be replaced? The outer layer is there for a good reason, I'd bet, but I'll see what our electrician says tomorrow. Thanks, again!
mysterd429 is offline   Reply With Quote