Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #1

Share |

Franklin Monodrive wiring restrictions

I've got a well system with two submersible pumps, one for the well, the other for a 1500-g holding tank (cistern). Have a well company replacing both pumps. They recommended a constant pressure system for the cistern pump, in part because it would allow me to use a smaller pressure tank (which could then be tucked away under the garage staircase). The Monodrive controller arrived today, I looked at the installation instructions and I'm wondering now if the system will work at all in my situation.

Manual says that the pump wires cannot be located within 8" of any other wiring. But I have two pumps, all the wiring running for both pumps together in buried conduit between garage and the well heads. There's also a 20 A 120V circuit (#12) for an outlet and 60 W light to keep the pipes from freezing.

So, can we just ignore what the manual says and run all the wires together? Even better, can someone explain why Franklin has this restriction-- what the problem is that they're trying to avoid? Sounds like an inductance issue but why does that matter when the controller works off a pressure sensor? Pointing me to a website that talks about these issues would be just fine. If it helps any of you to know this, it seems like the CP controller converts to 3-phase.

Thanks

Phil S

philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

It will be fine. The reason for the restriction is that the 3-phase output of the controller contains a lot of high-frequency electrical noise from the electronics. It can induce high frequency currents in nearby wiring, which could cause interference with some things. Since the only wiring it's close to is the other pump's wires and power for an incandescent light, it won't matter.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #3

Maked perfect sense. Thanks.
philS is offline   Reply With Quote