Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

FPE electric panel replacement

My parents house just got diagnosed with the same electrical issue.
Their 1965 house has always had more than the occasional surge related issues so I just ordered a Cutler Hammer CHSUR42B200L2 to take the place of the old Federal panel.

Wiring is a mix of oversized aluminum & copper in the re-modeled Kitchen \ Entertainment\ Laundry room areas.

The law as I understand it is that your POCO (TXU here in Dallas) has to disconnect & reconnect & they only do that with a permit. I am now searching for a residential electrician in case I cannot prevail upon any of the Commercial guys I know to help.
What fun!!

Last edited by nomad4137; 08-03-2009 at 05:14 PM.
nomad4137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #2

The Cutler Hammer CHSUR42B200L2 Loadcenter is now installed!
Not yet inspected but the PoCo stabbed the meter & all functions perfectly! This part is interesting since they started off being a-holes!

200 Amp upgrade, new meter socket & ground rod. The large gauge aluminum wire (from the original 1965 wiring) now goes directly to the breaker without a "pig-tail".
I did get a laugh when the lead electrician turned his head as he threw the 200Amp main breaker open.
I like the fact that my parents get back from vacation & will have a safer home!

Last edited by nomad4137; 08-26-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad4137 View Post
The Cutler Hammer CHSUR42B200L2 Loadcenter is now installed!
Not yet inspected but the PoCo stabbed the meter & all functions perfectly! This part is interesting since they started off being a-holes!

200 Amp upgrade, new meter socket & ground rod. The large gauge aluminum wire (from the original 1965 wiring) now goes directly to the breaker without a "pig-tail".
I did get a laugh when the lead electrician turned his head as he threw the 200Amp main breaker open.
I like the fact that my parents get back from vacation & will have a safer home!
Congratulations Still would like pics
300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #4

Red-Flagged. Inspector wants to see the original cold water ground upped to a #4 gauge despite the addition of the ground rod.

There is a Federal Sub Panel for the 2 AC units.

Also stated that our breakers, which have been kept to the original value since the house was built are more than likeley to large for the modern HVAC equipment that the house now utilizes. He recommended we look into that but said it was not an "issue" for him.

Progress report. Got the #4 ground wire over to the cold water ground by the water heater. Long ways away from the panel!!

Last edited by nomad4137; 08-27-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #5

Parents house just passed inspection!
I will have them replace the FPE subpanel that holds 2 breakers for the two AC units at a later date. It is at least on the exterior of the house & against a brick wall.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:19 PM   #6

First, I'm glad to see that the load center has been replaced, and that the rest of the FPE stuff is being purged.

Now, I'm no electrician, and only occasionally play one on the weekend, but I can chime in with a personal story about the evils of FPE. Several years ago I lived in a house with an FPE panel that looked great, and seemed to be working fine. Then, one day in early February I came home to a family complaining about flickering lights. Sure enough, every light in the house was flickering. I arrived at the load center just in time to see the flames start, and had the presence of mind to grab a short length of 2X4 to bump the main off and put out the fire in order to keep the entire house from burning to the ground. There was no bus damage, save for the melting. No corrosion anywhere. A single circuit failed on the opposite side of the house. It's pure luck that the failed circuit didn't set the house on fire, but that Stab-Lok panel was well on it's way to melting down instead of tripping.

FPE? No thank you. I don't care how great they look. You can't visually inspect for a breaker that won't trip when it is supposed to. If stories like mine were a one in a million, then maybe it would be acceptable to say they're okay as long as they look good. As it turns out, I'm one of the lucky ones, because I arrived in time to stop the impending fire. A lot of folks haven't been that lucky when dealing with FPE breaker malfunctions. There is no excuse for them, ever.

It took a long weekend of working in the freezing cold and pitch black to replace the box and the wiring it ate up when it failed to trip. That sticks in my mind to this day. When my wife and I went house shopping, you better believe we walked away from any house with an FPE Stab-Lok panel in it.

Every Stab-Lok panel should be not only removed, but destroyed so that some idiot doesn't salvage them and attempt to use them. In fact, I feel that there should be an active campaign to eliminate and destroy them. I smashed all of the Stab-Lok breakers from that house with a hammer before disposing of them. The electrical inspector got a real kick out of it.
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Chicago, IL

KAdams4458

You might want to report that failure at http://inspect-ny.com/fpe/FPEFailureReport.htm
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAdams4458 View Post
First, I'm glad to see that the load center has been replaced, and that the rest of the FPE stuff is being purged.

Now, I'm no electrician, and only occasionally play one on the weekend, but I can chime in with a personal story about the evils of FPE. Several years ago I lived in a house with an FPE panel that looked great, and seemed to be working fine. Then, one day in early February I came home to a family complaining about flickering lights. Sure enough, every light in the house was flickering. I arrived at the load center just in time to see the flames start, and had the presence of mind to grab a short length of 2X4 to bump the main off and put out the fire in order to keep the entire house from burning to the ground. There was no bus damage, save for the melting. No corrosion anywhere. A single circuit failed on the opposite side of the house. It's pure luck that the failed circuit didn't set the house on fire, but that Stab-Lok panel was well on it's way to melting down instead of tripping.

FPE? No thank you. I don't care how great they look. You can't visually inspect for a breaker that won't trip when it is supposed to. If stories like mine were a one in a million, then maybe it would be acceptable to say they're okay as long as they look good. As it turns out, I'm one of the lucky ones, because I arrived in time to stop the impending fire. A lot of folks haven't been that lucky when dealing with FPE breaker malfunctions. There is no excuse for them, ever.

It took a long weekend of working in the freezing cold and pitch black to replace the box and the wiring it ate up when it failed to trip. That sticks in my mind to this day. When my wife and I went house shopping, you better believe we walked away from any house with an FPE Stab-Lok panel in it.

Every Stab-Lok panel should be not only removed, but destroyed so that some idiot doesn't salvage them and attempt to use them. In fact, I feel that there should be an active campaign to eliminate and destroy them. I smashed all of the Stab-Lok breakers from that house with a hammer before disposing of them. The electrical inspector got a real kick out of it.
That's scary. *puts fire sprinkler system near electrical panel*

Actually, know what they need to make, smoke detectors that report back to the main cut off switch and shut off the power upon detection of fire. It would be useful for electrical fires. Sometimes it's too late, other times perhaps not.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #9

Angry

KAdams post #49) I agree with you 100%!!! I happen to be an Electrician! And the stuff I've seen from FPE "products" are enough to scare the daylights out of anyone! In one case (out of many). I was reinstalling a fixture in a house that was "protected" by FPE panel & breaker. When I adjusted the fixture to center it, a wire made contact with the Cross bar and the sparks started flying and continued.... like in a welder's torch. I dashed down Three floors to the basement to cut the power.... And of course the many calls I went on to repair the damage caused by non-tripping FPE breakers! (No matter what) Don't Drink and Drive!!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 08-28-2009 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Typographical error (Typo)
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
KAdams4458

You might want to report that failure at http://inspect-ny.com/fpe/FPEFailureReport.htm
I did that a few years ago. It is nice to see they have further information on their site, now.

Oh, and this is entirely off topic, but due to your post, I ended up randomly browsing the CPSC site, where I discovered that my vacuum cleaner has been recalled due to fire and burn hazards.

Good site to check every now and then, folks. Especially if you occasionally forget to register your stuff with the manufacturer, or you have moved, and the manufacturer no longer has a way to get in touch with you!

http://www.recalls.gov/search.html
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:29 PM   #11

Have some pics but not sure how to attach. If someone "in the know" can handle it i will email them.

thanks, damon
Old 09-03-2009, 11:34 PM   #12

1. Open a free account at Photobucket.com.

2. Upload and store your pics there. It's very user friendly.

3. When you post, click the "insert image" icon above, net to the quote icon.

4. Copy the URL from the Photobucket image and paste it in the box that pops up.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:06 AM   #13

Pics on PBucket but I get no box here when I hit photo insert.
Sorry for the ignorance but i never mess with pics.

Thanks for the help!!

Last edited by nomad4137; 09-04-2009 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #14

Last edited by Scuba_Dave; 09-04-2009 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Fixed pics
Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM   #15

Thanks Scuba Dave!!!