Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

four way switch with multiple lights

I would like to add more lights to the circuit lighting my garage approximately 200' from the house. It runs 2/14 form the panel to a three way switch at the basement door. It then travels 3/14 to a four way switch at an upstairs door. It then makes a 3/14 run out to the garage where a three way switch is at the door. The only light is above the door with a 14/2. I would like add a light above each of the two doors at the house.

I ran a 2/14 to both lights from the switch by the basement door. I joined to the black from the lights to the black traveler on the three way switch. The whites went into the bunch. The lights and the two three way switches worked as before but now the four way switch doesn't operate. I undid my additions and the four way worked again as before. Where am I going wrong?

Gman BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

The lights should be hooked to the common of the switch, not the travelers. It should either have a different color screw or be labeled COMMON on the side of the switch.

Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 PM   #3

just a couple of 4-way diagrams I had in my files to illustrate that the common terminal of one of the 3-way switches is the point which all lights must get there power from at some point if you want any of the switches to function the light
Attached Thumbnails
four way switch with multiple lights-4-way-switch-wiring-diagram.jpg   four way switch with multiple lights-4-way-2011-20can-20lites-2.jpg  
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 58

You can not have lights at the house and the garage controlled by the same switches without replacing the cable to the garage. You need to bring switched power back from the garage for the new fixtures. The existing 14/3 is one wire short of what is needed.