Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2008, 09:02 AM   #1

Share |

Found my first nutted wires inside wall

So I was moving a switch box. It is a double gang, but one of the wires was too short (coming from the basement) to reach so they put an "extension" I can't moved the whole box down because one of the wires is going up to the attic, and won't reach. Running new lines not really much of an option. I am thinking it seems the only choice is to separate these into 2 single gangs, one above the other? These are going to be located in the staircase going to the basement so aesthetics not the most important. Is there some other acceptable solution I might be missing?
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:38 AM   #2

Short of pulling new wires one way or the other, a second box with a blank plate is probably the safest and most legal way to get the splice taken care of. I've heard of devices listed for splicing in the walls, but in my years as an inspector I have yet to encounter one of them.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #3

Install accessible boxes where the top and bottom fed wires have plenty length. Run new cable to your switch. Just like you said.

They do make NM connectors for concealed wall spaces. However, I am not sure if you can use them for this purpose. It might be well worth the investigation.
They are normally found in prefabed houses.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 PM   #4

install 2 boxs one with a blank.There are "clips" that will connect wires in walls but the only legal use is in modular/prefab homes.Since there a manufactured piece the company gets UL approval to do so.But as an electrician I cant use them.
Mightyidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:15 PM   #5

Quote:

Welcome to the club. I have a couple hundred under my belt. In the walls, in the attic and in the crawl spaces.

The best by FAR are the ones underground or with concrete or asphalt over them.

There is somebody somewhere doing this as I speak.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Mighty, there is a big debate as to the accuracy of what you are stating.

Many folks in the know do think they are approved for use in walls in existing stick built homes.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:49 PM   #7

the code book says all splice's need to be accessible....that means without damaging a wall to get to them.....unless the code changes for 2011...they can't be used in existing buildings
Mightyidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #8
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Mighty, there is a big debate as to the accuracy of what you are stating.

Many folks in the know do think they are approved for use in walls in existing stick built homes.

I agree, I believe they are legal.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #9

Mighty, see this thread: http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthrea...hlight=splices

..and this cut sheet: http://www.ampnetconnect.com/documen...n_Rev3_Web.pdf

300.15(H) Insulated Devices As permitted in 334.40(B), a box or conduit body shall not be required for insulated devices supplied by nonmetallic-sheathed cable.

334.40(B) Devices of Insulating Material Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #10
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyidi View Post
install 2 boxs one with a blank.There are "clips" that will connect wires in walls but the only legal use is in modular/prefab homes.Since there a manufactured piece the company gets UL approval to do so.But as an electrician I cant use them.

Sure you can, check out 334.40 (B)
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #11

Good information. I am faced with a similar problem of needing to make a splice inside a wall of an existing home (mine). I was going to put the splice inside a box that would be anchored to a stud. The Box and cover would then be concealed behind drywall, behind a cabinet. Cannot find any information on the "clips" that are mentioned or a device as mentioned in 334.40 (B). Course I am looking in the Big Box stores.
Mickey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #12

See the Amp link in my reply above.

Supply houses carry them.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #13

I drilled a hole in the ceiling today in the finished basement and found another good one. A junction box with an outlet on it, but the outlet fell off. This was behind permanent ceiling with no access to it. The outlet actual fell on my head when I drilled the hole. Going to take down the whole ceiling. Fix up the electrical, remove old steam pipes (more recently discovered with asbestos!) Fun, fun, fun.
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote