Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 12:03 PM   #1

Share |

Flush mounted fixures

I am replacing some 6 plus year old flush mounted fixures with new ones. As I am taking down the old ones I notice 2 things:
1. there is no insulation between the fixture and the ceiling.
2. the foil between the light bulbs and the fixture is gone. (just a thin layer of padding of some sort).

I got in the attic above the fixtures and the blown insultaion is very warm to the touch. Should I take down all the fixtures and replace them? Is there to much heat transfer from the light bulbs throught the fixture to the insulation in the attic? Or am I worrying for no reason?

Retirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #2

Flush mounted fixures

Buy IC rated fixtures. They have a high temp cut off if the fixture gets to hot. IC rated fixtures are usually the reccessed type (can Lights). It's still a good idea to keep the insulation from not touching the fixture. The use of CFL light bulbs will significantly lower the fixture operating temp. Never install bulbs with a wattage rating that is higher than the fixture allows. The max wattage is printed on the back side of the fixture or in the canopy. This is most important.

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote