Fluorescent Wall Mount, Use Or Not - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2015, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 428

Fluorescent wall mount, use or not

I was given six of these fluorescent wall mounted lights. They are 4ft 120v T8 fixtures and use one bulb on one side and two on the other. They have two ballasts with a 4-way pull switch to control each side separately. Not sure if they might be useful in my garage or if I should off them and buy some normal shop lights. What do you guys think. They're new in the box. The part number shows them as a "bed light" series. They normally mount above a hospital bed.
Attached Thumbnails
Fluorescent wall mount, use or not-dsc00425.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by funflyer; 07-31-2015 at 05:58 PM.
funflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 538

I can't see how you would get that much usable light for a garage from those fixtures. The bean spread looks fairly narrow and some light is going away from the work area.

Advertisement

Old 08-01-2015, 02:50 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 194

If they are hospital rated fixtures, chances are they list for well over one hundred dollars each.

List them on ebay/amazon at about 50% of list (look them up). Use the proceeds to buy yourself some more fitting shop lights.
billtech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to billtech For This Useful Post:
ChuckF. (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

I see no issue with using them as side mounted lights if you are doing any kind of bodywork in the garage. If you take the cover off of where the transformers are. There should be some manufacturer info on a sticker. Use that to contact the manufacturer.

The reason for the 1 & 2 lights. Is that you have one which is the "Night Light", and then you would have the other two or all three for regular lighting.

Just yank one of the transformers out and store it in case you need it, and wire the unit with all three sets of tombstones off of one transformer.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:17 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Just yank one of the transformers out and store it in case you need it, and wire the unit with all three sets of tombstones off of one transformer.
Unless the transformer is for use with 3 tube it should not be wired for them.

If the OP wishes to only use two tube there is no need to pull the other ballast. Simply leave it unwired.
Old 08-01-2015, 07:29 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,292

If you already have the fixtures, and need more light in the garage, why not use them? The only thing I don't like is the switch on each light. I would want all the lights coming on with one switch on the wall.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #7

Thanks guys,

My first thought was to mount them up on the side walls and wired to two switches but, I plan to eventually build cabinets across both side walls. The front wall has 7 foot tall metal shelving across the whole wall so this leaves just the ceiling which means the bulbs would have to face to the side, not worth the effort for light reflecting in the wrong direction.

Looks like I'll do as billtech suggests and sell them. I found several on ebay that sold for $80.00 so these should sell easily. Grainger also has them for crazy prices.
The Following User Says Thank You to funflyer For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #8

As I stated before, having them on the side walls, helps kill any shadows if you are working on the car (i.e. polishing it). Still hang fixtures on the ceiling.

Not that hard to make them so that you can use a regular switch.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 PM   #9

That is the hack solution.

It would be much better to sell those on ebay, for a total of around $400 - $500, and use the proceeds to buy fixtures that are designed for direct work area lighting.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtech View Post
That is the hack solution.

It would be much better to sell those on ebay, for a total of around $400 - $500, and use the proceeds to buy fixtures that are designed for direct work area lighting.
Not a hack solution. Selling them on eBay is not going to get you much. The OP would be lucky to get a bid of 10-15 each. Majority of people buy them for the scrap value, which makes them more money.
Old 08-01-2015, 11:44 PM   #11
Licensed electrician

Quote:
Not a hack solution. Selling them on eBay is not going to get you much. The OP would be lucky to get a bid of 10-15 each. Majority of people buy them for the scrap value, which makes them more money.

Post #7 said they found the fixtures selling for $80. Much more than scrap value or the $10 or $15.

Regardless, the list distribution is going to be very poor compared to a light designed for area lighting . Nice looking LED shop lights are at Costco for less than $40 each.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Nonsense.

The OP stated he does not want to mount them on the walls, due to the desire to install shelving. If installed overhead, most of the light will be projected horizontally, which is rather useless in a garage/shop.

The OP will be able to get the amount I mentioned on ebay. Enough to buy 10 - 12 proper fixtures designed for ceiling installation.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billtech View Post
Nonsense.

The OP stated he does not want to mount them on the walls, due to the desire to install shelving. If installed overhead, most of the light will be projected horizontally, which is rather useless in a garage/shop.

The OP will be able to get the amount I mentioned on ebay. Enough to buy 10 - 12 proper fixtures designed for ceiling installation.

Exactly, I could mount them on the walls until I decide to build cabinets in a year or so then I'm left with used lights worth scrap and a wall full of romex with switches that would be a pita to rewire for ceiling lights. It makes more sense to sell them to someone who can use them as intended and use the funds to buy a more practical garage lighting.

Advertisement