Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #1

Share |

Fluorescent Vapor Tight Light or Non Vapor Tight

I am trying to put lights up on my carport. Well, i guess first I am trying to pick some out. I have 4 places to put up some lights. My initial idea was 2 - 8 foot fluorescent strip lights in 2 rows, basically making 2- 16 foot lights. Anyways, some how i talked myself into getting 4-4 foot strip lights, that are the "vapor tight" kind. They are sealed. I hung one up, its ugly as crap.

My question is this:

Is it necessary to have the water/"vapor tight" lights. I am pretty positive they will never get water on them. the closest they will get to the edge of the carport is about 4 feet on one side, other than that its like 8 feet to either of the other sides. So can i just use any fluorescent strips? I have seen plenty of commercial buildings with fluorescent strips without any covers installed on eaves with only about 4 inches to the edge of the roof where water runs off....so i am guessing its not important?

i hope i havent confused anyone.thanks for the help.

pretzels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Bet you paid a small fortune for those fixtures!!!!!.

Yes, you can use strip lights.
yoou need to make sure they have outdoor rated ballast, or they will not work right in the winter time.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Bet you paid a small fortune for those fixtures!!!!!.

Yes, you can use strip lights.
yoou need to make sure they have outdoor rated ballast, or they will not work right in the winter time.
haha, yeah, a very large small fortune.

the ones i was looking at had like -20 degree start up and stuff, i think they are probably what your talking about. the only problem is none of them i saw at lowes had covers, they were just the exposed bulbs. i would like to have some diffuser of some sort. im pretty limited to lowes, unless i want to order them online, or drive far. im kinda picky and want them to look nice. like an industrial/modern design.

i like the strip fluorescence because it gives a sort of showroom feel.
pretzels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #4
JOATMON

I bought from HD online, 6 T5 fixtures....19" long...holds 2 bulbs....they are pretty much sealed...in that they have plastic covers for the bulbs.....$13 (without bulb).....and free shipping...

Of the fluorescent lights...the T5 is the most effecient.....4 of those fixtures and I think you would have had plenty of light....unless your wanting to do auto work...in which case, 8.....and they look good....

I installed 2 of them under my house in the crawl space.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote