Fluorescent Shop Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,168

fluorescent shop lights

I have (9) 8' T12 fluorescent fixtures in my shop, each with the original R2E75-S-TP Advance ballast, and I have typically used a pair of 75 watt bulbs in each fixture. 2 of my ballasts seem to be bad, and since they are no longer available, I have researched this as far as my knowledge and understanding will take me, and believe that I want to replace them with Grainger part number 2TNU2 ballasts, with the intent of being able to use a pair of either 60 or 75 watt bulbs in each fixture. Although I would like to, I do not keep the shop heated all winter, so it can reach the vicinity of 0 degrees F sometimes. Does this appear to be a resonable conversion?

Advertisement

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,008

fluorescent shop lights

Go to any box store and find the ballasts. You will see that they do indeed still make ballasts that work with T12 fixtures. They are now electronic ballasts. You will connect them differently than the older T12 magnetic ballasts. Make sure you wire them exactly as shown on the ballast. I just replaced two in my basement and got them at Home Depot. It will say right on the ballast itself that it will work with (2) T1298.

In such a cold environment I would suggest you get away from fluorescent altogether. If you must stay with florescent they make whats called "high output" fluorescent fixtures and lamps. This would be your best bet.

Advertisement

J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,792

fluorescent shop lights

There are also kits available to retrofit the 8' tubes with 4 4' tubes.
J. V. (10-06-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

fluorescent shop lights

Also with the electronique ballast they can light up the 8 footer without much issue compared to magatinc ballast however there is a conversion kit that can change that strip luminire from 2 lamp to 4 lamp it will use almost the same wattage however there is one heckva good plus with T-8 bulbs is it will be much brighter than old school 8 footers bulbs are and they will light up in cold weather without much effort.

There are few diffrent kit to use some case it much cheaper just get new 8 foot 4 lamp luminaire compared what you will spend for kit plus ballast et bulbs.

If you want to keep the 8 footer and use them in cold weather here a tip I will pass ya along on the slimliners { 60/75 watts } is get a 8 foot sleeve to fit on the lamp due it will keep the bulb more warmer so it will stay brighter in cold weather operation { they will get dim super cold but it will run }

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-05-2011, 01:56 PM   #5

fluorescent shop lights

Thank you guys; I genuinely appreciate all of the advice. Not that I was being impatient, but an unexpected trip across town popped up, so I stopped by Grainger, and coincidently ran into an aguaintance, who is an electrician at the university, and who said that he went through something similar a few years ago in one of their (few I am sure) unheated buildings. So, between him and the gal at the counter, I am relatively optimistic about the ballast that I am going to try this evening. It is indeed wired different than the original ones, but I don't foresee any problems there. And I am aware of the issues with fluorescent light in unheated buildings, so while it is a concern, and does present a problem every once in a while, when the temperature in my large shop gets too low I try to restrict my work to the smaller shop, and just use the limited incandescent light that I have in the larger shop. Marc, as for sleeves, what are you referring to? Is that like water pipe insulation, slit to cover just the top of the bulb, or something special? What effect does it have on the amount of light that would otherwise be reflected down by the covers?
Old 10-06-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

fluorescent shop lights

Dexter.,

This is the item I am talking about to clear up the confusing on this one.,,

This I have order pretty often in few area which they do require it ( I know food prep area or area where the foods will be served will be required to be sleeved or complety enclosed for safety reason )

Other area where I used them where something will hit the flourscent bulb it can be pain in butt to clean up all the glass when they scatter around.

They do come in 4 or 8 footer length IIRC about 10 Euros.

Also they can get in few diffrent colour sleeves if required { Yellow or gold colour type is most common for keep bugs away ( it do work ok but better than noting )}

Hope that clear up that question.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-06-2011, 08:56 AM   #7

fluorescent shop lights

Thank you Marc. I was chuckling at myself a bit, because I was sure that what I described was not what you meant, but I couldn't picture anything else at the time. Now that I have seen your picture though, I do recall a gal telling me, quite a while back, that they had to use something similar on some of their fluorescent bulbs that were above part of their milking operation. Thank you, again. As for the new electronic ballast that I picked up yesterday, it works great. Having grown accustomed to my old fixtures, this one actually surprised me when I first turned it on, because it came on so quick. And I sure as heck am not going to miss the buzzing or flickering of my old ones. I am going to go ahead and replace the other two in that row this fall, and hold on the others until I see how they work as the temperature falls. I noticed on the ballast that it is rated to start at temperatures up to 60 degrees colder with 75 watt bulbs than with 60 watt bulbs, which I found interesting, so I will stick with the 75 watt ones, and see what happens.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (10-07-2011)