Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

fluorescent light to ceiling fan

I have a fluorescent light controlled by two switches in my kitchen. The light had all the black wires tied together and all the white tied together. Leaving only a red wire to power the light...

1. I tried replacing one of the old switches with a new three way but can seem to get the same three wires (white, black, red) that were connected to the old switch connected to the new one correctly!

2. Installing the fan with just the red wire?

tb582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Red wire, and the white wire from the fan goes together with the other white wires in the same connector.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #3

What about my switch issue?
Old 12-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

You have 3 different possibilities in reconnecting that switch.

Try all 3, you're bound to hit it right on one of `em ...

Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #5

So the two non common screws are essentially the same?
Old 12-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #6
Electrical Contractor

Yes, you can swap the other 2 wires and the switch will still work properly. The other switch reverses them each time you throw it anyways.

You have 3 wires --- one of them is the common one. Try each one on the common terminal until you hit it right.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky
Yes, you can swap the other 2 wires and the switch will still work properly. The other switch reverses them each time you throw it anyways.

You have 3 wires --- one of them is the common one. Try each one on the common terminal until you hit it right.
I swear I tried them all and my wire at the light is still live, but I'll try again. And I'm right in expecting that when the switch is off the wires at the light should not be live, correct?
Old 12-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb582 View Post
I swear I tried them all and my wire at the light is still live, but I'll try again. And I'm right in expecting that when the switch is off the wires at the light should not be live, correct?
If it is wired correctily, then the red should not be live
with the switch off !
If it is, then it is not wired correctily.
even thou it might work.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
If it is wired correctily, then the red should not be live
with the switch off !
If it is, then it is not wired correctily.
even thou it might work.
UGH, what kind of hell am I in now? I again tried all three wires and the freaking wires for my light/fan still have power going to it! . So this means that its not wired properly? And hasn't been even though I only replaced the switch thus far but I'm hooking up the same wires.. What are my next steps, how the hell do I figure this out?
Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb582

UGH, what kind of hell am I in now? I again tried all three wires and the freaking wires for my light/fan still have power going to it! . So this means that its not wired properly? And hasn't been even though I only replaced the switch thus far but I'm hooking up the same wires.. What are my next steps, how the hell do I figure this out?
I wonder if my problem lies in that the other switch that is suppose to operate that light is behind my fridge and was removed (the switch only) and the wires I think maybe all tied together with a wire nut inside the box and capped off. ?? I guess I'll go move the fridge and find out what that one looks like, but could that be the issue?
Old 12-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb582

I wonder if my problem lies in that the other switch that is suppose to operate that light is behind my fridge and was removed (the switch only) and the wires I think maybe all tied together with a wire nut inside the box and capped off. ?? I guess I'll go move the fridge and find out what that one looks like, but could that be the issue?
Well that isn't it! My other switch location only has three wires, red, white, black... None tied together etc. As I mentioned this switch is behind my fridge and thus is closed off... I really don't know where to go from here!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #12

If there are only three wires (red, black, white) in the switch box behind the fridge, then there are a couple ways the three-way could be wired. Since there is only one red wire in the box with the light, it is likely that the switch behind the fridge was connected to the box where the old one you are currently working on is. In that case, there should be at least two red wires in that box, one going to the box behind the fridge and the other going to the light. The wires going to the box behind the fridge should be tucked out of the way somewhere and capped.

To replace the switch, you only need a standard single pole switch, not a three way since you will only be controlling the light from a single location. The single pole switch should be connected between the black and red wires coming from the box in the ceiling. No white wires should be involved. A three way switch can be used as a single pole switch by connecting one wire to the common screw and one wire to one of the other screws.

If you are installing a ceiling fan without a remote control, I would recommend connecting the power for the fan, generally the black wire, to the black wires in the box so that the fan will be controlled with the pull chain. The power for the light, generally the blue wire should be connected to red wire that goes to the switch.
thadsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 6

Sounds like it might be a 3 way switch arrangement !
Which are wired differently to a normal switch.
So unless you understand the difference between the two
then working it out will be hard.
Do understand the difference ?
If not, google it ,
you will soon see how it works.

As there could be two switchs involved,
the problem could be in either switch,
or the wiring inbetween.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadsaab View Post
If there are only three wires (red, black, white) in the switch box behind the fridge, then there are a couple ways the three-way could be wired. Since there is only one red wire in the box with the light, it is likely that the switch behind the fridge was connected to the box where the old one you are currently working on is. In that case, there should be at least two red wires in that box, one going to the box behind the fridge and the other going to the light. The wires going to the box behind the fridge should be tucked out of the way somewhere and capped.
Your correct, the switch behind the fridge only has the three wires which have all be separately capped. The problem is that there is only one red wire in the switch box that I'm currently working in???

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadsaab View Post
To replace the switch, you only need a standard single pole switch, not a three way since you will only be controlling the light from a single location. The single pole switch should be connected between the black and red wires coming from the box in the ceiling. No white wires should be involved. A three way switch can be used as a single pole switch by connecting one wire to the common screw and one wire to one of the other screws.

If you are installing a ceiling fan without a remote control, I would recommend connecting the power for the fan, generally the black wire, to the black wires in the box so that the fan will be controlled with the pull chain. The power for the light, generally the blue wire should be connected to red wire that goes to the switch.
Not sure what to do here until I figure out the wiring??
Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM   #15

Bump on this in case it was missed over the weekend..