DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Fluorescent lamp requires wall switch to be cycled several times before lighting.

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BigJimmy 
#1 ·
I have a ceiling fixture with two 48in. flourescent lamps and a ballast. The fixture requires the wall switch to be cycled on and off several times (as many as 10 times) before the lamps will light. It appears that the lamps are trying to light, as I can see faint light at the ends of one of the tubes. Actually, this fixture is the second one I installed, as I had the same problem with the first one, and thought it was the fixture). Could I have an electrical problem with the wall switch or the wiring? Appreciate any ideas.

#4 ·
Next, Check Bulbs. one bad bulb will make them both go out unless you have an electronic balast
Then, Check to see if you have a bad starter. If it has one, it will be about .5inch round and 2inches long
Finally, Throw it away and buy a new because it is probably your ballast and they are as expensive as the light is

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.