Fluorescent Lamp Requires Wall Switch To Be Cycled Several Times Before Lighting. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Fluorescent lamp requires wall switch to be cycled several times before lighting.

I have a ceiling fixture with two 48in. flourescent lamps and a ballast. The fixture requires the wall switch to be cycled on and off several times (as many as 10 times) before the lamps will light. It appears that the lamps are trying to light, as I can see faint light at the ends of one of the tubes. Actually, this fixture is the second one I installed, as I had the same problem with the first one, and thought it was the fixture). Could I have an electrical problem with the wall switch or the wiring? Appreciate any ideas.

Advertisement

joejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Licensed Pro

Rewards Points: 1,000

Fluorescent lamp requires wall switch to be cycled several times before lighting.

First thing to check is if the fixture is properly grounded. An improper or no ground will give the symptoms you describe.

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 05:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, I'll check that first.
joejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
J Calvin Construction

Rewards Points: 150

Next, Check Bulbs. one bad bulb will make them both go out unless you have an electronic balast
Then, Check to see if you have a bad starter. If it has one, it will be about .5inch round and 2inches long
Finally, Throw it away and buy a new because it is probably your ballast and they are as expensive as the light is

You hired WHO?
jcalvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 502

The switch might be 'old and worn'...it's usually in the wiring connections, ground, or the light fixture...but sometimes the switch is worn and not making a good contact.
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Rewards Points: 500

If you simply turn on the switch and leave it on, what happens. Does the fixture eventually light?

Advertisement