Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2010, 04:40 PM   #1

Share |

Fluorescent Fixture - Convert from T12 to T8

Hi,

I have a few 4' two-tube fluorescent fixtures in the garage. They plug into 120v outlets. Currently, they have GE Cool White T12 tubes in them.

Someone gave me a case of Sylvania OctronŽ 700 Ecologic T8 tubes that I would like to use.

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/6428/F-32T8765S.html

I want to use the new, free tubes in the fixtures I have, so I am looking for info on replacement ballasts, e.g. which ones, where to buy, how much to pay, and any other advice.

Thanks in advance!
sbdivemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #2
Licensed electrician

You would buy a ballast for the correct voltage and number and type of tubes.

You might find it just as economical to just buy new fixtures compared to the price of the ballast.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #3

If the voltage and wattage (usually stamped on the glass at one end) is the same and the tube fits in the socket (one pin or two pins) then just substitute one for another.

The designations T8, T12, etc. refer to the physical size of the tube, here, the diameter.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

The newer T8 tubes have a reduced wattage vs the T12 tubes. Most T8s are 32 or 34w while the older T12s used to be 40w.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:58 AM   #5

Most T12 are also 35w now. You can't just swap the tube types. You need to change the ballast. The question is too broad. It kind of like asking what tires should I put on my car. There are too many brands etc. Go to a supply house and tell them you need a 120 volt two tube T8 ballast for 4 foot tubes.