Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Flourescsent Tubes Dying Mystery

In my kitchen I have a fixture that holds 4 4ft fluorescent tubes. About 2 months ago I bought 4 40w GE Reveals to replace my old garish 30w tubes. For 2 months everything was fine, but then the center 2 tubes would not fire (They are paired 2 on the outside and 2 on the inside), but after a bit of sputtering at least the outer 2 would come on. You can see the center tubes want to turn on, but they give up and concede to the outer 2. I then swapped the pairing and the inner 2 would not work together as a pair - even on the outside. So I went to Lowe's and exchanged them for a new pair. It worked! Or so I thought. After a week, the center 2 struggled to fire again and eventually the outer 2 would turn on. I did the swap, and the new ones seemed to be trashed. They will not fire together, even on the outside pair. It's the exact same problem again even with brand new lights.

I can't figure out what is going on. It seems like something in my fixture is ruining anything that goes in the center-pair now . Is 40w too much (old ones were 30w).

wallix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sounds like you have the wrong tubes. Open the fixture and look at the ballast....it will tell you what tubes you should be using. Another couple of things that can shorten bulb life is weak tombstones or improper seating of the bulbs.

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
Thurman (08-24-2011), wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Or the ballast is dying.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #4

Was there a problem with the old tubes? If you did put in the wrong tubes, you may have also have done some damage to the ballast(s). I think Code05 may have hit the nail on the head.
The Following User Says Thank You to Missouri Bound For This Useful Post:
wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 09:45 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,036

If just the ends of the tube light up as the tube tries to come on for long periods of time then the tube will be trashed in short order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallix
I bought 4 40w GE Reveals to replace my old garish 30w tubes ...
You definitely put the wrong tubes into the fixture. The results can be unpredictable.

Last edited by AllanJ; 08-23-2011 at 09:48 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Bound View Post
Sounds like you have the wrong tubes. Open the fixture and look at the ballast....it will tell you what tubes you should be using. Another couple of things that can shorten bulb life is weak tombstones or improper seating of the bulbs.
I checked and both the ballasts are rated for 40WT12 lights which is what these Reveals are. I think the seating is OK, but I'm not sure about the tombstones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
Or the ballast is dying.
Is there a quick way to rule that out or is a new fixture in order? This fixture came with the house in 2002.

Quote:
Was there a problem with the old tubes? If you did put in the wrong tubes, you may have also have done some damage to the ballast(s). I think Code05 may have hit the nail on the head.
I'm leaning towards the ballast theory myself. The old tubes did not have this problem. But keep in mind that it took over 2 months for the first set of Reveals to malfunction. Now it seems like it's going to happen regularly. But after actually checking the ballast, it would seem the original tubes were underrated at 30w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
If just the ends of the tube light up as the tube tries to come on for long periods of time then the tube will be trashed in short order.
It's not just the ends fortunately. The blinking seems to be even throughout the tube. Although when I put all 4 in I can see the rings passing through the tubes of the middle set as it tries to light (then gives up).

I have a feeling if I went out and got 2 more Reveals that all 4 would work in harmony for about a week again, then the middle set would die off. Does this sound like a ballast issue?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #7

WEll...if you like the fixture, you could change the ballast.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 PM   #8

Your new lamps are t-12, right? If you like the fixture, change the ballast out. Too bad it's T-12....the T-8 technology is much better, cheaper, brighter......blah blah blah...
wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Your new lamps are t-12, right? If you like the fixture, change the ballast out. Too bad it's T-12....the T-8 technology is much better, cheaper, brighter......blah blah blah...
I hate the fixture actually. "Generic" is an understatement. When I return these lights I'll check out the world of T8.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,036

Also if a fluorescent tube blinks a lot it will fail in short order.
wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

Sounds like you are doing things in the right order. First the bulbs....it's usually the bulbs. If they light at all there isn't a wiring problem. If they flicker or need to be twisted or tapped to come on, it's most likely the fixture "tombstones". The ballast is usually the last step, unless there is a grounding issue.
wallix (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 10:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Also if a fluorescent tube blinks a lot it will fail in short order.
When I took the ballast cover off I was shocked at how dirty, greasy, and brown the wires were (One of them even looked burnt). It was definitely just thrown together by the builder. I'm wondering if there was a problem with that ballast all along and since the old tubes were actually only 30w that the problem never revealed itself till I put in a 40W. Like Missouri Bound mentioned, I think a T8 overhaul is in order. I can live with the 2 working T12's for now.

The mystery to me still is:

1. Why do new lights work wonderfully for a week?
2. After a week, what would cause the 2 middle lights to consistently and permanently fail?

Last edited by wallix; 08-23-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:14 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallix View Post
The mystery to me still is:

1. Why do new lights work wonderfully for a week?
2. After a week, what would cause the 2 middle lights to consistently and permanently fail?
A dying ballast.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Code05 For This Useful Post:
wallix (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 AM   #14
" Euro " electrician

Majorty of the F40T12 bulbs with the ballast which I useally run into they are two lamp ballast which it is most common due you describing outer two and inner two so I know a very good chance you have rapid start ballast so you will have to find a bad ballast.

The surefire way is convert to single ballast 4 lamp T-8 verison F32T8 do give little more light than old school 40 watter plus what more they are electronic so they are very quiet and no flicker.

But if you want to convert it you have to follow the wiring diagram carefull plus you will have to shunt the tombstone if that is electroinic verison.

Merci,
Marc
wallix (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,496

While your at the store looking at T8's....have a look at T5's as well....or, maybe consider other lighting options....maybe recessed cans....then you can use any combination of CFL's....lots of color and wattage choices.

If you do go the can route....look for cans with the GU24 base....that way you stay compliant with energy requirements.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
wallix (08-24-2011)