Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Flourescent Light Ballasts continue to blow out! Please Help!

My house was built in the 1940s and does not have the third groud wire. Recently the flourescent light in my kitchen ( which was operational for Years ) suddenly blew out. Since then I have replaced both the bulbs and the ballast twice, only to have the ballst blow out on me within hours. My wife will not let up on me about it and now my reputatation is at stake. Somebody help me please!

chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 152

measure the voltage across the black wire and the metal electrical box(ground) and check if you get 110V. Also check if you have any voltage from white wire to the metal electrical box(ground).

I had some weird problem like that, and after some troubleshooting i noticed that all that wiring was messed up with weird voltages. Turns out my basement wasnt wired properly. I ended up running a new line for the light with the power source actually having 110V coming out of the black wire.

humberguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #3
I=E/R

Rewards Points: 1,000

You may want to disconnect the florescent fixture and hook up plain old socket and bulb temporarily. Lights burn out because of age or high voltage. This wouldn't be a multiwire circuit with an open neutral would it?
Do you have a volt meter with alligator clips so you could hook it up and watch what happens over a period of time?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

Are you sure you got the right kind of bulbs? Fluorescent tubes have code designations such as "T8". Just because it's the same size or fits in the same fixture does not guarantee a match.

An incandescent light will reveal a high voltage or a low voltage problem more easily than a fluorescent light.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

If other lights in your house are brighter or dimmer than normal you may have a bad neutral connection.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

maybe he replaced the ballast with an electronic balllast and is trying to use t12s instead of t8s
longbeach1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

it will say right on the ballast how to lamp it. so make sure your voltage is correct. that should be it.......wait a min.............electronic ballasts are wired different. its hard to say without looking at one , the yellow wires on one side go to all the wires on one side of the fixture(all the wires coming out of your two tombstones go together) NOW on the the other side...... the red goes to one tombstone and the blue to the other tombstone.this is for a 2 lighter fixture

longbeach1125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballast, bulbs, electrical, flourescent, light