Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #1

Share |

Flourescent Fixture problem

I have a four bulb flourescent fixture in a laundry room that began flickering, then worked only intermittingly. The two interior bulbs would light, or flicker, but the two outside bulbs were completely out. I replaced all four bulbs. The interior two new bulbs continued to work or flicker, while the outside two new bulbs would not light. I exchanged the bulbs and found the same thing--interiors would light or flicker, the outside would not. I then exposed the two ballasts. They are Advance R-2S40-1-TP with brown black wires on one side and red blue on the other. When I viewed the two ballasts, one had visable heat marks on the label (browning) and some black tar like substabce that had apparently leaked out the top (side toward fixture), but the fixture was just warm to the touch. This was the fixture with the red/blue going to the outside lights. The other ballast did not show any signs of excess heating nor was there any the black tarry residue, but the ballast was extremely hot to the touch--it would almost burn you to touch it. My fixture is a Cat.No. P-7196-30-ESO ADVYL/CSA Continuous Row Mounting Monter En Batterie 120V 60H 1.5 A E76333.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

My guess at least the ballast for the outside tubes has bought the farm. They do get hot. It sounds like that one did too many times.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #3

If new tubes didn't fix it then the ballasts are bad.
Old 02-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

Assuming the ballast to the outside lights are bad (these are the lights that don't light) cuases two thoughts:

1. The ballast to the outside light is the ballast with the black crud oozing from it, but it only warm to the touch. Does this mean the other ballast--the one that is screaming hot--is still good? Should the ballast be that hot?

2. Will a bad ballast to the outside lights cause the interior tubes to flicker or work intermittingly?
Steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:33 PM   #5

I think both ballasts are going or gone.

How warm/hot are the ballasts if the light fixture is turned on but all 4 bulbs are taken out?

If the ballast is screaming hot then something somewhere is wrong.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
If new tubes didn't fix it then the ballasts are bad.
They are independent. One ballast won't affect the other. As a repair you could get a single ballast that runs four lamps.
Old 02-07-2010, 03:09 AM   #7
" Euro " electrician

I will just ditch two old school t-12 ballast and get new 4 lamp 32 watt T-8 bulb and ballast they will put more light than old school t-12 plus use less power and they are instat start as well.

Just make sure you follow the connection diagram carefull due the 4 lamp T-8 are wired differnt than T-12'ers are. { and yeah you will have to shunt the tombstone as well }

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ballast