Flourescent Bulbs Keep Popping. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 504

flourescent bulbs keep popping.

I have a pair of outdoor flourescent fixture in a roof over an exterior walkway. Recently the bulbs have burned out. I tried replacing them, and after wasting 2 new bulbs I found when I turn on the circuit, the bulbs brighten suddenly then stop working. I presume they burn out.

Is it possible that bad ballasts cause this? Or is the circuit shorting out?

I've measured with multimeter at the fixtures and there is 120V normal. I looked at where the wires run to the outdoor timer that runs the lights, and the connections look normal. I've also looked at the wires in the junction boxes and it doesn't seem anything is wrong there.

The fixtures are 'Lights of America' model 9209, and they use 9w .15 amp 2 prong flourescent bulbs.

Can I use the resistance measurement of the multimeter to check if there is a short on the line? With the power off, of course.

Thanks.

Advertisement

darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I have a pair of outdoor flourescent fixture in a roof over an exterior walkway. Recently the bulbs have burned out. I tried replacing them, and after wasting 2 new bulbs I found when I turn on the circuit, the bulbs brighten suddenly then stop working. I presume they burn out.

Is it possible that bad ballasts cause this? Or is the circuit shorting out?

I've measured with multimeter at the fixtures and there is 120V normal. I looked at where the wires run to the outdoor timer that runs the lights, and the connections look normal. I've also looked at the wires in the junction boxes and it doesn't seem anything is wrong there.

The fixtures are 'Lights of America' model 9209, and they use 9w .15 amp 2 prong flourescent bulbs.

Can I use the resistance measurement of the multimeter to check if there is a short on the line? With the power off, of course.

Thanks.
If you have two fixtures with separate ballasts, it unlikely that they would have the same fault in each one, at the same time!
Now, if its a strip flourescent with just one ballast, then it's likely that the ballast has failed!

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

I'm pretty sure they have the problem. I don't want to buy another bulb to see if it goes bright and burns out on the other fixture!

I plan to do a continuity test between the ground wire and the hot wire for the circuit tomorrow (after shutting off the power). Will this be a thorough test of a short circuit?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by darsunt View Post
I'm pretty sure they have the problem. I don't want to buy another bulb to see if it goes bright and burns out on the other fixture!

I plan to do a continuity test between the ground wire and the hot wire for the circuit tomorrow (after shutting off the power). Will this be a thorough test of a short circuit?
I used to have a tester for flourescent fixtures. Basically, it was a 6 volt lamp wired across two pins that fit into the lamp socket.
It seems to me, if you measured across the socket that you would measure in the neighborhood of 6 VAC. At each end!
You should not have any grounding of the lamp sockets either!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
I used to have a tester for flourescent fixtures. Basically, it was a 6 volt lamp wired across two pins that fit into the lamp socket.
It seems to me, if you measured across the socket that you would measure in the neighborhood of 6 VAC. At each end!
You should not have any grounding of the lamp sockets either!
Are you sure they are not Halogen dulbs? If you touch them with your bare hand they will burn out ever time. You said they have two prongs Halogen bulbs do.
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Perhaps there was a voltage surge and both fixtures are now toast?

Or outside temperatures maybe did something?

I bought a fluorescent fixture with an electronic ballast several years ago and the ballast did not last more then a couple of months. I replaced the electronic ballast with the old fashioned kind and it has worked fine ever since.

Also I bought 3 new light bulbs in a row for my car dome light a while back. Not a one of them lasted more than a month! I finally got disgusted and bought an LED light which has been working fine since. (Voltage and all other lights in car are fine.)

This is basically my experience with *many* products lately. They don't last. Sometimes they don't work new out of the box. Happening more and more...
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Are you sure they are not Halogen dulbs? If you touch them with your bare hand they will burn out ever time. You said they have two prongs Halogen bulbs do.
Having had a closer look at the original post, I'm guessing that these are a form of CFL lamps, with the ballast built into the base.
If so, they would have 120 volts wired directly to the socket pins!
We need to know the model number of the lamps to be sure!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

http://www.lightsofamerica.com/Products/9209.aspx

Here's the fixture he said he had. It doesn't look like CFL
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

In my experience, Lights of America is nothing but a bunch of imported junk.

Bad ballast/fixture.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
http://www.lightsofamerica.com/Products/9209.aspx

Here's the fixture he said he had. It doesn't look like CFL
I had a look at that page also and I couldn`t really tell what the lamps were like! They offer some CFL`s in a configuration that I`m unfamiliar with. They appear to be in the shape of a fork, a large base for a ballast and connect to a socket with two pins!
Thats why would like to know the model number of the lamp!
Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Bob View Post
Or outside temperatures maybe did something?
darsunt, could you please click on your username when logged in and update your basic location so we know where you are?

Are you trying to get florescents to work in an extreme temperature environment?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:47 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,048

Simply measuring the voltage across the terminals of an empty fluorescent lamp socket means nothing.

You have to understand fluorescent lamps (bulbs) and ballasts to make heads or tails out of the voltage, which is better measured when the lamp is installed.

After the lamp ignites, the voltage setlles down at some voltage (varies for each make and model of lamp. Should the ballast be defective or if the lamp is not the right kind (model), the voltage may settle down at some incorrect value which results in either not coming on or getting too bright and burning up the end contacts inside and failing.

Just the ends of a fluorescent lamp glowing for a long time will greatly shorten the life of the lamp. If you see this for more than 5 seconds or repeatedly, turn the light off right away.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #13

Hi guys

I'm located in Southern California. It's been raining here a bit lately, but the area that holds the lights is dry. The model number of the fixtures is 9029.

There are two fixtures on this line running from the timer. In one, the bulb goes very bright then shuts down. I'm going to get a bulb and test the other fixture soon, I'm hoping just that one fixture is bad. Yes they have ballasts inside.

I'm concerned that maybe the entire line is shorted out. But there is another separate line, that is connected to the same timer outlet, and it is working okay when the timer is on.

Its an old building, and I can't figure out how to shut off the power to the timer, otherwise I would just redo the connections and see how it went.

Advertisement