Flotec Sprinkler Pump Doesn't Work - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Flotec Sprinkler Pump Doesn't work

Hello, I have a Flotec sprinkler pump for my lawn sprinkler. The pump pulls water out of the river and one day the river rose and covered my pump. When the water went down about a week later I took out my pump and let it dry for a few weeks.

Last night I went to try and see if it worked and it doesn't. I turned it on and there was a big spark that came from the electrical box.

I opened up the pump to see if the electrical part was all rusted out and it still looks pretty good. I would like to try and replace the parts if I could instead of buying a new pump all together.

Any ideas what parts I should be looking to replace?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,034

Does the shaft of the motor turn? The most likely problem after immersing a motor would be rusted bearings. If it turns smoothly, then it probably should have run. If it turns freely, then you'll have to take it to a motor shop to diagnose the electrical problem (unless you have a megger and know how to use it). If the shaft doesn't turn, you'll have to take it to a motor shop to replace the bearings or replace the motor. Either way, it looks like a motor shop is in your future.

Advertisement

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM   #3

Could the capacitor be issue? i haven't been able to test the shaft to see if it turns yet. But my first inspection was the capacitor was looking all rusted out.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #4

After taking it apart I was able to turn the shaft. When I went to go test it it made a little noise then quick. It did that a few times any ideas?
Old 09-07-2011, 03:48 AM   #5
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,034

The capacitor or start switch may be the problem. Check the capacitor first. Most are sealed and water shouldn't be a problem unless it rusts through the case, but some might not be sealed. Next check the centrifugal start switch. If it's corroded and doesn't close properly, then the motor wouldn't start. So check that. Also, if you haven't already, check to make sure the windings all have continuity the way they should, and not the ways they shouldn't.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote