Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
Stevie

Share |

Flickering Power Saver Bulb

I have a Phillips Genie 14W Energy Saver Bulb in my toilet operated by a corded pull switch. Bulb has been fine for months but today I noticed that when switched off, the bulb is flashing aprox. once every 3 seconds. I have changed it for a normal bayonet type light and it works fine. (When its off, its off!) When I put the energy saver bulb in a different room it operates fine. I am assuming there is a fault at the switch but why has this started happening after years of loyal service? Any ideas please before I start dismantling.. If the switch is faulty, why does it not affect the normal bulb???
stevebooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Man of many hats

Oddly, I have a similar problem with a remote control fan/light. Worked fine with incandescent lights, but when I shanged to CFs, they would faintly blink every so often, even though power was switched off at the remote.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Here is a general recommendation for problems with a light socket. Let us know what you find as a solution for your CF.
Attached Thumbnails
Flickering Power Saver Bulb-light_socket_problem.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

& Stay Safe
.....Bob Lavery
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:25 PM   #4
DIYer

CF bulbs can be lit up by just being close to an electrical field. Here check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKiz4N91j4

I did this experiment myself and it works. A CF will light up dimly when it's influenced by any moderate electrical field.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
Man of many hats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
CF bulbs can be lit up by just being close to an electrical field. Here check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKiz4N91j4

I did this experiment myself and it works. A CF will light up dimly when it's influenced by any moderate electrical field.
Thus the electricity feeding the fan, or the field produced by the motor running would provide the energy required to make the CFLs flicker.
Good info, thank you.
Brett
Old 01-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #6

You most likely have a "leaky" switch. They get gunked up over time, and start to conduct when in the off position. You would notice a small amount of leakage with the CCFL because it doesn't draw much current, and if it sees a high enough voltage due to the faulty switch, it will fire. Once it fires, it needs to draw more current, and the switch in the off position cannot provide that current, so the lamp extinguishes.

I would start with replacing the switch.

FW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Stevie

[quote=KE2KB;220985]You most likely have a "leaky" switch. They get gunked up over time, and start to conduct when in the off position. You would notice a small amount of leakage with the CCFL because it doesn't draw much current, and if it sees a high enough voltage due to the faulty switch, it will fire. Once it fires, it needs to draw more current, and the switch in the off position cannot provide that current, so the lamp extinguishes.

I would start with replacing the switch

You appear to be correct. The switch actually fully failed last night - I shall be replacing. Many thanks
Old 01-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
DIYer

Good call KE2KB
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
Good call KE2KB
Thanks;
I guess my brain hasn't gone totally to mush yet<g>

FW

Old 02-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Stevie

Changed the switch, everything now ok. When I dismantled the old one the lower half was full of water. The room is unheated and it has been cold recently. I am guessing it was a build up of condensation as there is no sign of leakage from the ceiling. Again, many thanks for the input especially KE2KB.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:33 AM   #11

If it's that wet in the room, you might want to consider installing a weather protected cover.

FW