Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2011, 05:02 PM   #1

Share |

Flickering lights

In the last two days, I have noticed that two ceiling lights in my kitchen seem to lose power for a moment....... No other lights in the house are doing this. Is it possible that a built in ceiling light can be failing? If the connection at one fixture is bad, would that impact all the of the fixtures downstream? I'm trying to really notice which fixtures are experiencing the momentary loss of power.

Any suggestions to help diagnose the problem would be appreciated.

No electrical work whatsoever has been done to the house in years. In other words, I haven't touched anything yet.

wavewuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Flickering lights

I suggest going through and checking all connections inside the junction boxes, and switches. Just make sure that you turn off the circuit breaker that feeds that circuit, before taking down the lights, or opening up switches to check connections.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

Flickering lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
I suggest going through and checking all connections inside the junction boxes, and switches. Just make sure that you turn off the circuit breaker that feeds that circuit, before taking down the lights, or opening up switches to check connections.
Will do, just not today. Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect a loose connection somewhere.......grrrrrrr.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
Sparky

Flickering lights

if you recently replaced the lamp it may be too big and resetting the thermistor.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 07:48 PM   #5

Flickering lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
if you recently replaced the lamp it may be too big and resetting the thermistor.
Nope. No changes made.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Flickering lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy
How would a thermistor come into play on this setup?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #7

Flickering lights

Looks like the main breaker is starting to fail. Electrician coming tomorrow to change it out if a replacement can be found. It's an orange color Murray 200 amp main breaker and from what I've seen online, these are prone to failure and no longer manufactured. May need a whole new load center if the buss bar is pitted or damaged. Oh joy!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #8

Flickering lights

Problem solved. As it turns out, the main breaker was starting to fail. When a heavy current draw was turned on, you could hear a little sizzle and see a some blue light near the top of the main breaker. Trying to remove the main breaker proved to be a problem and we opted to have a new panel installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to wavewuver For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-10-2012)