Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

flexible stranded cable for generator inlet

I added a generator inlet and service disconnect to the outside of my house connecting to an existing inside wiring cable on the back wall. I used waterproof outdoor cable which is flexible and stranded and a friend questioned that this could be against the electrical code, that he would have used solid cable within a PVC conduit. I think I could have mounted the inlet directly at the spot where the inside wiring exits, and strung up the whole length of flexible cable as a generator extension cord. Since what I did should be an improvement over that, I don't quite understand what would be wrong with what I did. Also since this is a generator inlet circuit that is on an interlocked breaker, and will never be powered up except by the generator, during a power outage, I thought I learned that there were additional leniencies including to permit running the cable in a less than craftsman-like way. Any thoughts from someone who knows the code would be very much appreciated.

rob613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,020

#1 Go back and add your location to your profile.
Just go to Quick links and edit.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,056

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob613 View Post
I added a generator inlet and service disconnect to the outside of my house connecting to an existing inside wiring cable on the back wall. I used waterproof outdoor cable which is flexible and stranded and a friend questioned that this could be against the electrical code, that he would have used solid cable within a PVC conduit. I think I could have mounted the inlet directly at the spot where the inside wiring exits, and strung up the whole length of flexible cable as a generator extension cord. Since what I did should be an improvement over that, I don't quite understand what would be wrong with what I did. Also since this is a generator inlet circuit that is on an interlocked breaker, and will never be powered up except by the generator, during a power outage, I thought I learned that there were additional leniencies including to permit running the cable in a less than craftsman-like way. Any thoughts from someone who knows the code would be very much appreciated.

Exactly what type of cable did you use?
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:59 PM   #4

I used 10 gauge 4 conductor cable within a rubber housing which says it is waterproof and good for 600V. I used one long piece which has aluminum strands within a yellow jacket to go from a weatherproof junction box, using wire ties to the inside wiring, to the service disconnect, which is a single 30A breaker external box which is fine for either solid or stranded wire. I used a shorter piece of identically rated but copper cable within a black housing to feed this panel from the generator inlet's 30A twist lock. I also have a short generator extension cord which will connect to the inlet from my generator's 20A twist lock which is protected by the generator's 20A breaker.

I am in Northern New England.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #5
E2 Electrician

Quote:
I used 10 gauge 4 conductor cable within a rubber housing which says it is waterproof and good for 600V. I used one long piece which has aluminum strands within a yellow jacket to go from a weatherproof junction box, using wire ties to the inside wiring, to the service disconnect, which is a single 30A breaker external box which is fine for either solid or stranded wire. I used a shorter piece of identically rated but copper cable within a black housing to feed this panel from the generator inlet's 30A twist lock. I also have a short generator extension cord which will connect to the inlet from my generator's 20A twist lock which is protected by the generator's 20A breaker.

I am in Northern New England.
Take a picture...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
Take a picture...
A close up picture of the label on the cable jacket? Or the overall outside view of how I ran the cables?

Just to clarify my question, I'm just trying to find out if stranded cable is prohibited for use between house wiring and a generator inlet screwed to the side of the house for rare use.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

Quote:
A close up picture of the label on the cable jacket? Or the overall outside view of how I ran the cables?

Just to clarify my question, I'm just trying to find out if stranded cable is prohibited for use between house wiring and a generator inlet screwed to the side of the house for rare use.
I just was curious about the overall setup on this...
Old 03-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,114

Sounds like it may be SO cord!
Old 03-12-2013, 06:54 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Sounds like it may be SO cord!
Thats what im thinking...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,178

Flexible cords are not to be used in the manner you described if I understand your setup.

I doubt the conductors are aluminum.

stickboy1375 (03-13-2013)