Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #1

Share |

flat screen tv outlet

Hello, first off im new to this stuff, so take it easy on me. i have a flat sceen tv on want to hang on the wall. i want to hide all the wires. i know running the power cord is against code (even though it's a inside wall without insulation). anyway my question is, i have a outlet dierectly below wear im going to hang my tv. ive done some research on this and i have read different ways to do this. Can i just cut-out a hole wear i want the outlet install a box and recepticle and run the romex down to the existing outlet? If i do that, do i splice into the wires on the existing outlet or double up on the outlet? im lost thanks

stang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 PM   #2

flat screen tv outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang93 View Post
Hello, first off im new to this stuff, so take it easy on me. i have a flat sceen tv on want to hang on the wall. i want to hide all the wires. i know running the power cord is against code (even though it's a inside wall without insulation). anyway my question is, i have a outlet dierectly below wear im going to hang my tv. ive done some research on this and i have read different ways to do this. Can i just cut-out a hole wear i want the outlet install a box and recepticle and run the romex down to the existing outlet? If i do that, do i splice into the wires on the existing outlet or double up on the outlet? im lost thanks
Open up the box below and if you have only one set of wires on the outlet you can just attach the wires to the outlet and splice the ground with the rest of the grounds. But if you open the outlet and you find out that there are wires that have wirenutes all you have to do is splice into that and your all set. But yes you are right you can drop a wire down to the outlet and good luck

dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

flat screen tv outlet

They actually make shorter cords for this purpose, which allows for an outlet to be placed in back at the mounting bracket. Otherwise, just create a figure 8 with the cord & use a Tie wrap for the excess to keep in check.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #4

flat screen tv outlet

Quote:
Can i just cut-out a hole wear i want the outlet install a box and recepticle and run the romex down to the existing outlet?
This is basically all it is, you will need a cut in box and "F" straps to secure it. trace the box and cut make sure you don't cut out the flaps that are meant to keep the box from falling inside the wall. Drop the romex down to the existing box. put the box in and secure it. The most difficult part might be getting the wire into the existing box.

Quote:
If i do that, do i splice into the wires on the existing outlet or double up on the outlet? im lost thanks
You should put wire nuts in (if they aren't already there.) All the blacks should connect, all the whites should connect and all of the grounds (bare wire) should connect, with short pieces going to the outlet for each one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 AM   #5

flat screen tv outlet

thanks for the help, i think i got it figured out.
stang93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

flat screen tv outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
The most difficult part might be getting the wire into the existing box.
Try pushing the romex up from the existing box to the new hole, if its only a few feet, you should be able to push the romex up the wall and grab it with your hand or coat hanger (depending on where the new hole is in relation to where the wire ends up in the wall).
theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:05 PM   #7

flat screen tv outlet

Quote:
you will need a cut in box and "F" straps to secure it.
The 1960's called.

They want their technology back
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #8

flat screen tv outlet

FYI - You can use a clock outlet, then the plug will not be sticking out. Like these...

Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:46 PM   #9

flat screen tv outlet

You could use one of those carlon old work boxes...might be more user friendly to diyers than f-straps.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:55 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to theatretch85

flat screen tv outlet

I would use the firs item picture in billy_bob's post. Its designed for this kind of installation. Single outlet for the tv, and a LV side to run the cables down the wall to your equipment.

theatretch85 is offline   Reply With Quote