Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Share |

Fixing a shorted circuit?

I moved a year ago, but haven't been able to sell my house. Yesterday my realtor told me a circuit in the bathroom was out. I went over today assuming it was a GFCI, but it wasn't even that circuit.

One breaker is tripped. Resetting it, it trips immediately. Presumably either the breaker is defective or there is a short. Since the circuit hasn't been used in a year, it is hard to see how it could go bad.

On the circuit there are:
  • 6 outlets in the master bedroom
  • Two lights and a fan in the bathroom, controlled by three switches in one box
  • Two outside lights, controlled from three boxes.
It is one side of a multiwire circuit, but I am not sure if that is relevant.

My plan is to disconnect everything, one switch/outlet at a time, and see if/when the short goes away. (unfortunately I have no idea how the circuit runs, which would have made it easier)

Any alternative to that?

Two questions:
1) Could the breaker (a 10 year old duplex 15a) be defective so as to trip even when there is no load? If so, I guess changing breakers is the first thing to do; if not, I won't bother.
2) Since the breaker still trips with all the switches off, does that establish that the short is not in the lights? (seems to me that if the switch is off, a short in the light fixture wouldn't matter as no power gets to it anyhow; which would be nice because the outdoor light would be my primary suspects, and I can't really get at them.)

Last edited by Toller; 08-26-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Bathrooms should be GCFI protected and hopefully with one recognizable in the bathroom. A bathroom light or outlet appeared dead?

Do you have a simple outlet tester to see what else is dead? Or if the GCFI you see in the bath is wired correctly? Cost you $10 or so? Should help you indentify what is on the dead circuit without disconnecting stuff.

A breaker tripped at the box or not? I kind of lost you on this point. You switched any suspect completely off and then on again? If you can identify the faulty circuit I guess replacing the breaker worth a shot. Cost you under $10

What exactly do you mean by a multi-wire circuit?

When in doubt or if this turns real, call a Sparky to sort it out.

Sad your home is languishing on the market. Trust your real estate agent but most places, a home for sale for over a year reeks of unreasonable sellers not willing to take an offer or having dramatically overpriced it to comps in the hood, the property just looking strange, or there is something really wrong with the place? You know keeping something listed so long raises many questions. Sure, had you known, you should have taken the offer if you could have lived with it. For now. Can you pull it from the market and rent it?

Last edited by user1007; 08-25-2013 at 07:21 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #3

I "think" the problem was in 3way switch that has literally never been used. I "think" the ground wire contacted the traveler that wasn't hot for the position the switch was in for 30 years, and someone at an open house flicked the switch creating a short.

I don't "know" that, but the problem existed with literally everything disconnected except that switch and went away when I replaced the switch. I tested the switch and it works fine; so all I am left with is my possible explanation.

Two agents showed me comps a year ago saying the right price was $290k, so that is how I priced it. Prices have gone up and I have lowered mine to $250k. Had one offer of $250 8 months ago and they declined my $265k counteroffer. Had another offer of $250k two months ago which I accepted; but they claimed $25k of problems in the inspection, none of which existed.

Last edited by Toller; 08-26-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Bathrooms should be GCFI protected and hopefully with one recognizable in the bathroom. A bathroom light or outlet appeared dead?

Do you have a simple outlet tester to see what else is dead? Or if the GCFI you see in the bath is wired correctly? Cost you $10 or so? Should help you indentify what is on the dead circuit without disconnecting stuff.

A breaker tripped at the box or not? I kind of lost you on this point. You switched any suspect completely off and then on again? If you can identify the faulty circuit I guess replacing the breaker worth a shot. Cost you under $10

What exactly do you mean by a multi-wire circuit?

When in doubt or if this turns real, call a Sparky to sort it out.

Sad your home is languishing on the market. Trust your real estate agent but most places, a home for sale for over a year reeks of unreasonable sellers not willing to take an offer or having dramatically overpriced it to comps in the hood, the property just looking strange, or there is something really wrong with the place? You know keeping something listed so long raises many questions. Sure, had you known, you should have taken the offer if you could have lived with it. For now. Can you pull it from the market and rent it?
Bathroom OUTLET is all that need's GFI ... not the lights