Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Fitting Recessed Lights

Hi,

My wife and I want to fit pot lights in our living room, I would like to know how difficult this is as I am tempted to try it myself.

The area above the room is the loft which is insulated so I know I need the IC safe lights with boxes. I also have a 4 way junction box in the loft which currently only powers one socket and one security light so I can use this for power. I just need more info on fitting a switch as I have never fitted a switch before with my limited electrical experience. I would also like it to be a dimmer switch. I plan on adding 6 4inch lights into the room. Any help with the wiring circuit would be great.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Fitting Recessed Lights

This isn't hard to do, and having access in the loft makes this easier. You can cut a hole in the drywall where you want the switch and run a line from your junction box to that hole and then use a "pop-in" box. buy the dimmer switch you want and put it in there. From the light switch run your wire to the first can light. I'm not sure about other brands but at least halo makes them pretty easy to wire up. Each wire has a small box with 4 holes that the wires slide into to make connection. So all you need to do it put the wire in the box (use a protective grommet), strip off some insulation, and slide the wires in to the corresponding spots. You can daisy chain the lights and go from one to the next. I would say the wiring isn't the hard part, but getting the spacing right where you want them and cutting the drywall out is.

autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,080

Fitting Recessed Lights

I agree with autx, I put in multiple pot lights in my kitchen, pretty easy job. I recommend purchasing a special hole saw made for plaster, sized for your specific light (there are 4 inch, 5 inch and 6 inch lights, probably other sizes too). The reason the properly sized hole is so important is that the lights typically come with a press fit ring, if you cut the hole with a saber saw, it isn't going to be perfectly round, and the ring won't fit correctly, then the significant other is going to think you are incompetent, and bad things will happen, whereas if you get the correctly sized hole saw, you are going to look so smooth that (he, she) will cook you dinner and all kinds of good things will happen.

One other small detail, the lights are designed to go between the joists, good idea to figure out where they are first, so you don't drill into a joist. I know I would never make that mistake hah hah. Hard to explain to the beautiful spouse that you CAN'T put the can directly under the joist even though that happens to be the EXACT SPOT where she wants the light. But I am CERTAIN your spouse is more understanding than mine.....
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

Fitting Recessed Lights

Thanks for the response guys, I had figured that it was not too hard and just wanted to make sure. Looks like electrical is going to be easier than the finish. I will invest in a 4" holesaw as my wife understands the importance of having the right tools for the job now.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM   #5
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,176

Fitting Recessed Lights

Just a note, you won't get enough light out of a 4" recessed to light up much of the room. They are a fine size for accent lighting tho.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Fitting Recessed Lights

Can somebody advise me if these lights
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....745&lang=en-CA are going to be ok for me to install myself. It is NOT a new construction and I am not replacing any ceiling drywall.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Fitting Recessed Lights

If it's not new construction and you cant get into the attic area they are going to be in, then no, you can't use them unless you plan to cut out enough drywall to mount it, and then replace the big square you cut out. If you can get up in the area above the ceiling, then you can do it.
autx790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

Fitting Recessed Lights

Quote:
If you can get up in the area above the ceiling, then you can do it.
Thats good news as I have full access to the area above the ceiling.