Firstly thank you in advance for any advise you can give on this thread.
We have a house built in the 1930's with wiring that went obsolete with the ark. We are trying to replace the existing light switch with a Lolite Light Dimmer switch.
We have found the electrical wiring is fabric coated single wires. The existing switch is a 'RINGGRIP' 5 amp 240 volt light switch. There are 2 sets of 2 wires; negative and positive. One set has a reddish colour so we are presuming this to be positive. The wires from one set (the negative set) go into terminals maked RING and GRIP. The other set is entwined and go into an unmarked terminal.
We have pretty much tried every combination to get this light fitting working. I have attached some photos of the existing and new fitting. Also attached is a sketch of the existing wiring and the instructions that have come with the switch. We have wired the new dimmer switch as per the incandescent lamp diagram on the instructions to no avail.
Does anyone have any ideas or pointers that can help us get this switch working?