Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Share |

Fishtape

Anyone see the benefits of owning a 200' fiberglass fishtape? I figure steel would be more beneficial since you won't be able to push a long fiberglass tape that far. I had someone asking me about picking one up.

Jeff

wick19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Journeyman Wireman

Fishtape

Why would you need a 200' fish tape (whether it be metal or fiber glass)? If you have the occasional long run of pipe, suck in a string using your shop vac and a baggie.

Jupe Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

Fishtape

I have often availed myself of a 200' fishtape. It is a lot more convenient than lugging around a vacuum or blower.

as to a glass tape; well, for the most part, I don't like them. They serve a purpose but I can typically live without one.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #4

Fishtape

Well it is kind of difficult to suck a bag through a pipe that has wires in it already. We use 200' steel fishtapes all the time. We also have fiberglass for certain situations.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #5

Fishtape

One is conductive which is the steel. The fiberglass is not. So if you are fishing through a conduit or a trough live and you happen to hit a splice you will not get shocked. But a fiber tape is not good for a long run do to the fact that it has way to much flex. If you want a tape for long runs get a steel fish tape. If you want to go across a drop ceiling get the fiber sticks, they are stiff enough to get you across quick and are flexible enough to bounce over the t bars.
Chevyman30571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:31 AM   #6

Fishtape

Before this gets locked... I should have edited my location info. I'm in the Chicago area, so the fishtapes are mainly used in conduit runs. The reason I'm asking the original question is that I was talking to a vendor and they mentioned that they sell a ton of the 200' fishtapes. Actually, outselling the 100' and the 50'. I can't see contractors picking these up because of the price and how they're pretty useless in trying to push past 75-100'. I'll always prefer steel, however in some applications, new rules in some commercial and industrial sites have forgone the use of steel because of the obvious safety factor.

Jeff
wick19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Journeyman Wireman

Fishtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
Well it is kind of difficult to suck a bag through a pipe that has wires in it already. We use 200' steel fishtapes all the time. We also have fiberglass for certain situations.
Let's not forget this is the DIY site. Not many homeowners will have cause to run 200' of pipe very often. Or pull in additional wires in the 200'. A 50' tape would be more than adequate for the average DIY need.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Fishtape

Dudes!!!

I missed all the fun!
Old 04-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #9
the Musigician

Fishtape

Me too.... day late and a dollar short. Story of my life!

*Cleanup in aisle 3 please, cleanup in aisle 3.....*

DM
Old 04-08-2011, 07:31 AM   #10
Experienced

Fishtape

What the "Dude" said wasn't pleasant at all, it was on all out attack on the something something old electricians, really not worth repeating.

Mark
Old 04-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #11

Fishtape

Heavy moderating. Let's give the mods a hand for their quiet but effective work. Thank you for your efforts!
jlmran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:09 AM   #12
the Musigician

Fishtape

YW... no biggie. That's why they pay me the big bucks....
This IS a public, family forum, not a playground for agitators.

DM
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
nap
You talking to me?

Fishtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wick19 View Post
Before this gets locked... I should have edited my location info. I'm in the Chicago area, so the fishtapes are mainly used in conduit runs. The reason I'm asking the original question is that I was talking to a vendor and they mentioned that they sell a ton of the 200' fishtapes. Actually, outselling the 100' and the 50'. I can't see contractors picking these up because of the price and how they're pretty useless in trying to push past 75-100'. I'll always prefer steel, however in some applications, new rules in some commercial and industrial sites have forgone the use of steel because of the obvious safety factor.

Jeff
I had spoken to this but I also commented to the MIA poster in the same post. I guess they just tossed the whole thing out.

so,

if you have use for a glass tape, you might consider getting a 200'. They put a loop on each end usually so if it breaks, you still have a loop. You can also put a new loop on it so if you snap off both ends, you can still make it a usable tape. If you snap 10' off a 50' tape, you lose a lot. If you snap 10 or 20' off a 100 foot tape, it is still usable but it does limit you. If you snap 50' off a glass tape, you still have a 150' tape.

If the cost is less than 2X the 100', it might be financially practical to just get the 200'.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #14

Fishtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevyman30571 View Post
Its not a smart idea to push a fish tape into a conduit that already has conductors in it. Hot or not. I always sacrifice one of the existing wires and pull in the one I need and one to replace the one I pulled out.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Journeyman Wireman

Fishtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
Its not a smart idea to push a fish tape into a conduit that already has conductors in it. Hot or not. I always sacrifice one of the existing wires and pull in the one I need and one to replace the one I pulled out.
I agree to that. I was a new apprentice and my JW showed me how to add a wire to an existing conduit by pushing in a metal fish tape. He snagged it on something, the shorted a circuit that happened to power the telephone system for a local hospital. Talk about a lot of running around like mad and a ton of finger pointing.