Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
A "Handy Husband"

Share |

Fishing a wire around blocking?

Have a new flat screen TV that I wall mounted and wanted to install an receptacle behind TV to hide the dangling cord. There was an existing outlet right below my new location. I cut in an OW box behind TV and tried to fish down to the existing receptacle. 2X4 blocking stopped me. Luckily the wall butts uo to a closet. In the closet I cut out a piece of drywall smaller than a outlet cover over the blocking. Fished the wire around the blocking and installed my new receptacle. I covered my hole in the drywall with a blank nylon cover installed horizontally and screwed to the blocking. I also ran the cable TV via the same route.

Thinking about what I have done, have I created a code violation? If so what should I do to correct my install?
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjniles View Post
Fished the wire around the blocking and installed my new receptacle. I covered my hole in the drywall with a blank nylon cover installed horizontally and screwed to the blocking.
A nailing plate over the notched fireblock and under repaired drywall is more cosmetic.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

technically, the fireblock must be sealed with fire caulk. Not sure if the nylon cover plate compromises the integrety of the fire block but suspect it may. Reparing as yoyo suggested (plus sealing the fire block) would be the best way I can think of.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM   #4

Cross bracing between studs were named 'fire blocks' in the days of 'balloon' framing as there was no sole plate or rim plate.
Box framing doesn't have an open top and bottom, so 'firestop' is a misnomer. With box framing, the proper term would be cross bracing, rather than fire stop!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Cross bracing between studs were named 'fire blocks' in the days of 'balloon' framing as there was no sole plate or rim plate.
Box framing doesn't have an open top and bottom, so 'firestop' is a misnomer. With box framing, the proper term would be cross bracing, rather than fire stop!

not sure where you are at but when the architect calls those chunks of wood fire blocking and they are required to be made with fire retardant treated 2x, I continue to call them fire blocking.

I have seen fire blocking where I saw no purpsose for it but the engineer required it so it got installed. I am an electrician and not a carpenter so there are codes I know nothing about and accept the engineers call.

but, I will accept OP could be dealing with bracing and not fire blocks. Is so, what he did is just fine. If not, it needs to be repaired to its original integrity.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:12 PM   #6

I would have cut/patched the drywall but don't lose any sleep over it.

Maybe next time I will try your method.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:59 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Thanks for all your inputs, The blocking is for the wainscotting on the lower part of the wall. This is a newer house with conventional framing (top and bottom plates) so it is not for fire code. I did not notch the blocking, the cable is in the space where I removed the 1/2 inch drywall and is covered with the blank plate. I suppose I could use a metal blank instead of nylon. Looks is not an issue as this is in a closet.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

if this is actually just support blocking, then do what you want with it. If this is in a closet, I wouldn;t even worry about the asthetics and leave it as is.

I see no code violation.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
not sure where you are at but when the architect calls those chunks of wood fire blocking and they are required to be made with fire retardant treated 2x, I continue to call them fire blocking.

I have seen fire blocking where I saw no purpsose for it but the engineer required it so it got installed. I am an electrician and not a carpenter so there are codes I know nothing about and accept the engineers call.

but, I will accept OP could be dealing with bracing and not fire blocks. Is so, what he did is just fine. If not, it needs to be repaired to its original integrity.
You call 'em fire blocking, I call 'em fire stops even if they aren't. Now a day's with modern box framing the purpose is for structural reasons.
I mentioned this because of concern about fire code! In new house wiring holes are drilled in the bracing (fire blocking)all over the place, without recrimination. And nobody gives a good sweet darn.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
You call 'em fire blocking, I call 'em fire stops even if they aren't. Now a day's with modern box framing the purpose is for structural reasons.
I mentioned this because of concern about fire code! In new house wiring holes are drilled in the bracing (fire blocking)all over the place, without recrimination. And nobody gives a good sweet darn.
I call them fire blocking (or stops if you prefer) when they are. I have seen them in modern building even with a top and bottom plate.

If they are only bracing, then that is what they are.

If you want to argue it, I can give you the name of the buidling inspector that required fire blocking to be installed in a wall at about 4 feet from the floor. He also required any penetrations I made in the fire blocking to be fire stopped.

You can argue whatever you want but I am speaking from real world experience.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I call them fire blocking (or stops if you prefer) when they are. I have seen them in modern building even with a top and bottom plate.

If they are only bracing, then that is what they are.

If you want to argue it, I can give you the name of the buidling inspector that required fire blocking to be installed in a wall at about 4 feet from the floor. He also required any penetrations I made in the fire blocking to be fire stopped.

You can argue whatever you want but I am speaking from real world experience.
Seems that your inspector is rather finickey, for what ever reason!
Lets face it, if the stud bay is closed top and bottom, what sort of draft can occur.
Now, on the other hand, penetration of the sole or rim plate is a different matter!
Glad that I don't have to contend with your situation!