Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Share |

Fishing new circuits to breaker box in wall

I'm looking to run some new circuits from my main breaker box which is in the garage. I've done this before, but the breaker box was mounted on a basement wall and I had access to all sides of it. This box is flush with the drywall in the garage. Here are two images of the box in the garage, and the view from the attic directly above the box.

I'd like to avoid opening the drywall if at all possible. I was planning to run a fish tape or fish rod from the attic down to the box (or perhaps the other way around) after removing some knockouts from the box. Any advice on this? Seems like I'll just have to "get lucky" and find the knockout.

Since I'll only have access to one side of the knockout (from inside the box), and suggestions for strain relief or cable connectors to transition into the box?

Thanks for any help.

_alphaBeta_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

Does removing the cover allow you enough room to remove a knockout and put a romex connector in there. If it does you could drill a hole on top and fish a wire down into the box. But I would want to try and look inside the wall to see how the wires are stapled first to make sure they are not stapled to where you are drilling.

There may also be a hole that is large enough for another wire in there.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston View Post
Does removing the cover allow you enough room to remove a knockout and put a romex connector in there...
Most of the time, I would use a connector designed to be installed from the inside of the panel. No need to fool with trying to install anything from the "outside" with one of those. Just knock out the hole, fish the wire in, and then snap the connector into the hole while threading it over the wire.

Like this one:

More information can be found here.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kbsparky For This Useful Post:
brric (02-20-2012), J. V. (02-21-2012), rrolleston (02-21-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Pure Genius

You'll have a little issue w/ the insulation in the wall. What I usually do is knock out a ko. Run fish stick up to attic or down, but pref up. Tape on wire with connector. Fish down. Install lock nut. Done
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
A "Handy Husband"

I would install a 15" spring access panel above the panel. That way you will have future access. About $15 at Home Depot plumbing department.