Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #1

Share |

Fish tape recommendation?

Hi all, I am looking for a fish tape recommendation to fish a line inside a plastic wire loom, (Orange Tube.). Would the fiberglass one be better? Will the metal one be more flexible? It's a 2 inch wire loom with 6 Cat 5 cables in it, I need to get 2 more cables in it, and the previous installer didn't leave a pull line.

Thanks to all
Attached Images

dataguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Electrician

A steel one might work, but the longer the distance, the more likely it’ll get hung up. Depends on the head. I’d try a fiberglass one first, if you have one.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

The fiberglass might float on top of the cables, but the steel might be able to push through.

How long is the fish?

A vacuum system might work too.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 AM   #4

The fish is from the basement to the 5th floor. Which would be best, fishing from basement up to 5th floor or from 5th floor down to basement?
Thanks,
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Fiberglass, but it will be hard with lines already in there. It would be easier to just cascade a switch on the floor that you plan to place more lines on, than trying to fish some new lines up. Especially on the fifth floor.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:40 AM   #6
Electrician

Straight shot or are there a lot of bends in the run? I would imagine a 2" conduit with only 6 cat's in it should be fairly easy from the fifth floor down if it's a straight shot. With bends and 90's, it's going to be more fun.

Just because you can, doesn't always mean you should
SD515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #7

Yeah, we can't add a switch, we need a home run from the server to the basement and this is the only way, everything else is sealed up!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

dataguy, that makes no sense. You can add a switch upstairs, it is done that way all of the time, when lines can not be pulled for more stations. If you have unmanaged switches now, upgrade to either a managed or Smart switch, so you can utilize vlan's.

Look at it this way. Would you rather spend about two to three hours pulling a line, or spend 15 min's hooking up and setting up a switch. Me, I would choose the most simple and easiest option, which is the switch.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #9
I=E/R

Have you thought about sacrificing one of the cat 5s and using it as a pull line? Use it to pull three cat 5s and a supplemental pull line.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
Retired from the grind

a7ecorsair, most likely they taped the lines together, to keep them as tight as possible, while pulling. Not using the pull line is one of those things you choose to do, when pulling data. Reason being, is that you look at using a switch most times on certain floors, so that you never have to pull up more lines on a riser. The reason being, the length of pull causes more problems.

In my office that I worked in before the move, we used switches on each floor, with a riser from each floor back to the router, where the data hardline entered the building. A properly designed network from the beginning, with future proof planning involved, works better, than later on, going back and adding more lines the hard way, such as pulling up the riser.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #11

Have you thought about sacrificing one of the cat 5s and using it as a pull line? Use it to pull three cat 5s and a supplemental pull line.

[You read my mind!]

Should I pull from top down?

Last edited by dataguy; 11-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
I=E/R

If you do use an existing wire make sure is is free. It will take two people, one at each end. You may want to pull just one or two and a fish and then do a second pull.
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM   #13

Okay, should I pull from the top up, or from the bottom down?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

dataguy, if it was me, and this is cat-5e, I would just sacrifice all lines, and pull all new cat-6. The problem is, you are going to tear up the outer sheath, and possible tear into some of the individual wire casings, due to friction. I would not even pull a pull string, just pull either one for a backhaul and place a switch to serve all connections, or if sticking with individual runs, pull enough for now, and for the future. That means if there is currently only one jack now at each station, pull two for each station. That would mean at least 12 data lines.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:30 PM   #15

I understand, but these lines are being used and are connected to a patch panel at the top floor, and at the basement level they run somewhere else. I can pull one line down, but all will be a problem.