Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

First Try at Electrical

I have been slowly learning about electrical and I am getting prepared for my first project - adding two outside outlets to my home - and I am looking for feedback/critique.

I plan to use a 20 amp gfci breaker with 12/2 w/ground romex - the basement is mostly unfinished so it will be easy to run the romex through/along the floor joists - and then drill through the rim joist and install a weather proof outlet box on the belly band at each location. How does that all sound?

It then occurred to me that since the romex will be running right past the back door perhaps I should install the outside light I have been thinking about, and put it on that circuit. Similiarly, the romex will pass through my workshop and maybe I could add that outlet I had in mind for charging batteries. Is it to code, or wise to add these things to the exterior outlet circuit?

I will have my work inspected - I just want to be sure I am starting off with a good plan. Thanks for your help.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

First Try at Electrical

That all sounds fine to me. I do not believe code requires outdoor outlets to be on a dedicated circuit.

20-amps is the way to go - good chance you'll be plugging in tools to these outlets.

GFCI breaker is not necessary. It is a viable option but expensive. You can simply make the first outlet in the chain a GFCI - wire the rest of the circuit off the LOAD side of the outlet, and you're protected (and to code).

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to secutanudu For This Useful Post:
Windows (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

First Try at Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
That all sounds fine to me. I do not believe code requires outdoor outlets to be on a dedicated circuit.

20-amps is the way to go - good chance you'll be plugging in tools to these outlets.

GFCI breaker is not necessary. It is a viable option but expensive. You can simply make the first outlet in the chain a GFCI - wire the rest of the circuit off the LOAD side of the outlet, and you're protected (and to code).
Agree on the 20A circuit. I might disagree on the outlet, however. If you have an outlet in a workshop on the LOAD side of the GFCI, you might find yourself stepping outside to reset it. If the breaker box is more convenient, a GFCI breaker might make more sense.

ETA: Sounds like a good first project. good luck!
moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moondawg For This Useful Post:
Windows (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,168

First Try at Electrical

To make it even more convenient you could install a GFI receptacle only wired to the LINE side terminals at each location. No need to go back to the panel or outside to reset the one that tripped.
Windows (08-19-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Just call me Andrew

First Try at Electrical

Good idea, Jim - he can pigtail off to each GFCI outlet, so each one is at the end of its own branch.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #6
Just call me Andrew

First Try at Electrical

Other things to keep in mind (read scuba_dave's sticky "national electric code" post also):

-Proper fastening of the wire to the framing
-Box fill (ie. not over-filling junction boxes)
-conduit fill (not really an issue if using romex)

If the wire will run any distance after leaving the house (ie. the outlet is not directly over the hole in the house) the wire must be in conduit and NOT romex on the outside portion of the house.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

First Try at Electrical

One more quick question - do I want to attach the ground wire to the duplex outlet or to the weather proof outlet box?

Thanks
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

First Try at Electrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows View Post
One more quick question - do I want to attach the ground wire to the duplex outlet or to the weather proof outlet box?

Thanks
If the box is metal, both.

If the box is plastic, just the outlet.

moondawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moondawg For This Useful Post:
Windows (08-20-2010)