Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 179
Share |
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Anyone have experience with the red 18 or 14 gauge three conductor cable used for fire and smoke detectors. I would like to use the red cable to isolate them from the other circuits. I would use regular 12/3 but I have a compulsive disorder that is telling me to run the red cable lol. Any brands of cable you recomend. This stuff is hard to find locally. Thanks

James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,785
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Are you in Canada or the US.
I've never even seen the stuff.

WHY would you use #12 for smokes. That is a compulsive money wasting disorder.

__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:35 AM   #3
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


I didn't think anything smaller than #14 was allowed? That being said, the building I work in used this red cable to all the smokes and fire alarm pulls on the walls. Is that just a low voltage control wire or something?
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Member
 
RippySkippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ames, Iowa
Posts: 1,233
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


14-2 to the first one, and 14-3 to all others work great, in fact our inspectors require it. The red is the traveler.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
14-2 to the first one, and 14-3 to all others work great, in fact our inspectors require it. The red is the traveler.
Well, I am not sure about the OP, but I was refering to a bundle of wires in a red sheathing that I see here at work... wondering what size cable that is.


I do agree that there is no need for anything more than 14AWG for smokes.
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 179
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Are you in Canada or the US.
I've never even seen the stuff.

WHY would you use #12 for smokes. That is a compulsive money wasting disorder.
I am in Queens now but the house is in Pa. Your right I said 12/3 I meant 14/3. This is the stuff I found. http://www.hometech.com/security/smoke.html I seen it in 14 gauge somewhere but I just can't remember where. What do ya think. It's not to $$$$. And don't poke fun of my disorder. It's not my fault I have to use a calculator to space my christmas lights bulbs so everything is perfect. lofl. Anyone use this shnit.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,785
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Those heads and wiring are for use with a security system. Are you installing a system in the house?
They cannot be used stand-alone.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 179
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Those heads and wiring are for use with a security system. Are you installing a system in the house?
They cannot be used stand-alone.
Forget the heads scroll down to the wire. The wire I am looking for looks like this but it comes 3 or 4 conductor, Not 2 conductor. I just can't remember where i saw it.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Licensed Electrical Cont.
 
Speedy Petey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NY State
Posts: 6,785
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Like I said, that wire cannot be used for stand alone 120v smokes. It is for alarm systems.
__________________
Sometimes I feel like if I answer any more questions it is like someone trying to climb over a fence to jump off a bridge and me giving them a boost.
Answers based on the 2008 & 2011 NEC.
Speedy Petey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by James Con View Post
Forget the heads scroll down to the wire. The wire I am looking for looks like this but it comes 3 or 4 conductor, Not 2 conductor. I just can't remember where i saw it.
What you're looking at is teflon cable, and you cannot use it on line voltage. Why would you want to? In the event of fire, in a home, by the time the approved method fails (nm cable feeding interconnected smoke and CO detectors each with battery backup) the house will be a total loss and anything left inside would be dead.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 179
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
What you're looking at is teflon cable, and you cannot use it on line voltage. Why would you want to? In the event of fire, in a home, by the time the approved method fails (nm cable feeding interconnected smoke and CO detectors each with battery backup) the house will be a total loss and anything left inside would be dead.
If the fire is in my basement and my basement is fireblocked beyond the minimum code requirement. And to add I could sleep through an Atom Bomb let alone a smoke alarm,Or for some reason the little 9 volters in the smokes fail due to acid leak. I would think the more the wire is resistant to heat and flame the better. But if that cable is PTFE (Teflon) I would assume it would be best due to the high heat characteristics of Teflon. But you say it aint for line Voltage. Is there any wire other than NM-PVC coated (Romex) cable I could use other than the Norm for the smokes. Maybe http://www.midsouthcable.com/FireAlarmWire.htm Check out the second one down.
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


James, Lawnguylandsparky pretty much nailed it. Your money might be beter spent on other things instead of teflon wire! You would probably be the only guy to have it running his smokes (in a non fire alarm setup) in a few hundred mile radius.
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 561
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by James Con View Post
If the fire is in my basement and my basement is fireblocked beyond the minimum code requirement. And to add I could sleep through an Atom Bomb let alone a smoke alarm,Or for some reason the little 9 volters in the smokes fail due to acid leak. I would think the more the wire is resistant to heat and flame the better. But if that cable is PTFE (Teflon) I would assume it would be best due to the high heat characteristics of Teflon. But you say it aint for line Voltage. Is there any wire other than NM-PVC coated (Romex) cable I could use other than the Norm for the smokes. Maybe http://www.midsouthcable.com/FireAlarmWire.htm Check out the second one down.
"If unlikely event A and then B and then C occurs then I would need it" is an excuse, not a reason. Have you considered what smoke detectors, their housings and circuit boards are made from? They'll fail long before NM cable would.

If you insist on teflon, you'll have to actually install a fire alarm system. Not residential grade interconnected smoke alarms.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:04 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 179
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
"If unlikely event A and then B and then C occurs then I would need it" is an excuse, not a reason. Have you considered what smoke detectors, their housings and circuit boards are made from? They'll fail long before NM cable would.

If you insist on teflon, you'll have to actually install a fire alarm system. Not residential grade interconnected smoke alarms.
Gotcha. Points well taken. I seen the red wire and it said for use with fire alarms, so I thought it was something new to use, Like when they switched over to yellow 12 ga. NM And orange 10 ga. NM years ago. Well thanks for setting it straight guys.. Thanks
James Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Electrician's Helper
 
Pudge565's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 202
Send a message via AIM to Pudge565
Default

Fire and smoke detector wiring


petey are you saying that this wire can't hanlde the 120 volts or that it is just not compatable with the standalone smokes?

Pudge565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
smoke detectors going off for no reason? arichard21 Electrical 18 04-20-2008 10:37 PM
Fire after reconnect - what happened? espuma Electrical 11 03-07-2008 09:17 PM
Residential Smoke Detector Wiring BigJimmy Electrical 2 01-22-2008 11:14 AM
Masons: Smoke Shelf removal? BarryKaraoke HVAC 4 01-12-2008 06:31 PM
GFCI and Smoke alarm circuit issues 00u6166 Electrical 9 10-30-2007 02:41 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.