Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

fire in outside electrical box

I was having problems with a circuit at my house, and I just discovered that there was one more outlet on the circuit i didn't know about. outside. I took the receptacle out to discover the all the wires are melted together the entire back of receptacle is gone and have a nice pile of ash in the box. now what i need help with is how do i go about replacing this receptacle (yes, when i do i will buy a much better outside cover than what was installed when house was built) it is in a brick wall and I need to run new wire is it worth the trouble or should I just forget it and scrap that receptacle from the circuit.

samiller1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiller1980 View Post
I was having problems with a circuit at my house, and I just discovered that there was one more outlet on the circuit i didn't know about. outside. I took the receptacle out to discover the all the wires are melted together the entire back of receptacle is gone and have a nice pile of ash in the box. now what i need help with is how do i go about replacing this receptacle (yes, when i do i will buy a much better outside cover than what was installed when house was built) it is in a brick wall and I need to run new wire is it worth the trouble or should I just forget it and scrap that receptacle from the circuit.
Was this a GFCI receptacle? As far as replacing the wire or getting rid of it altogether, well, that's up to you and the level of involvement you are comfortable with. How far away is the receptacle inside that this is fed from?

InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:02 PM   #3

the first receptacle in the series is GFCI it is in the garage. as for the distance from the receptacle before it about 25 ft. but all my wires run through my very small attic, just wondering if maybe the wires are mortared in and can't be removed, didn't know if there was a typical way it was done when houses are built.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

Quote:
all the wires are melted together the entire back of receptacle is gone and have a nice pile of ash in the box.
If the melting was due to local heating (bad connection and high current draw) the rest of the wire may be good.
If the melting was due to high current and a breaker not tripping, all the wiring insulation is toast but it may still insulate and pass current. Just don't flex it.
Take a close look.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 12-23-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:18 PM   #5

i would need to run new wire because it is all melted to almost where it comes into box and there is not enough there to work with
Old 12-23-2008, 03:31 PM   #6

Quote:
i would need to run new wire because it is all melted to almost where it comes into box and there is not enough there to work with
Soldering to tiny stubs, or removing the box and soldering to somewhat longer stubs, or running some new wire with a new junction box, or running all new wire.
What to do, what to do. . .?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
the first receptacle in the series is GFCI it is in the garage. as for the distance from the receptacle before it about 25 ft. but all my wires run through my very small attic, just wondering if maybe the wires are mortared in and can't be removed, didn't know if there was a typical way it was done when houses are built.
How about the one just before this damaged one. Have you checked this one? How important is having a receptacle at this location? If its difficult to run a new cable, abandon this one, after its disconnected. Then, install another one somewhere else,thats easier to feed.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:54 PM   #8

Wires for outside receptacles are usually run through the walls like any other wiring inside the house. You may be able to pull the box out and fish a new wire in, then replace the box. Do you have access over the area such that you can get over it and drill a hole into the wall?

There may just be some fiber or foam insulation behind the brick. You may be able to chisel it out so you can snake your fished wire out.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Soldering to tiny stubs, or removing the box and soldering to somewhat longer stubs, or running some new wire with a new junction box, or running all new wire.
What to do, what to do. . .?
Soldering? Since when is soldering permitted for this type of work?

KE2KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #10

Soldering is permitted in a proper junction box just any other form of wire connections. It still needs to be mechanically secure and insulated.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Soldering is permitted in a proper junction box just any other form of wire connections. It still needs to be mechanically secure and insulated.
The Ontario Electrical Safety Code doesn't allow soldering!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post

Soldering looks bad, It has great electrical conduction, but I would never do it. Maybe if its on a pcb, where solder belongs.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Code reference please. I want to look it up and see exactly what it says.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #14

Soldering isn't allowed for the ground wire. Doesn't make any sense, I know. But it's true
Old 12-24-2008, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
Code reference please. I want to look it up and see exactly what it says.
Joed, I'd like to help you, unfortunately my book is at the cottage, behind 4' of snow! Can you hold off til spring? Once I had some European electricians come to work for me, (my boss hired them) and they soldered each and every connection in a whole new house. The inspector made us unsolder them all, and redo them with wire nuts! Plastic insulation doesn't work well with soldering! I speak from experience!