Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #1

Share |

fire hazard???

We just moved into a new (30 yr old) bungalow. When I went into the attic with an insulation contractor, we found the 27 potlights were not installed properly.
Instead of the ones for insulated attics they were the ones without the extra top to protect against fire. Someone suggested I put aluminum roasting pans on top of the potlights to make it safe but I am not sure. Can anyone help?

sheilalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #2

fire hazard???

Yes, you need to get the right lights for contact with insulation or move the insulation from around/over the lights as per instructions.
Keep the roasting pans in the kitchen where they might be useful.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob22 For This Useful Post:
sheilalr (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

fire hazard???

You need a material that will not conduct heat, but can resist it. Maybe you can use some kind of cement board or something.

Idealy, you'd want to remove those and install new pot lights that are UL approved for use in that situation. A cheap alternative is to use only CFL lamps in them, the heat will not be enough to be dangerous. They can still get rather hot to the touch, but I doubt they can get hot enough to ignite anything.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
sheilalr (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 02:24 PM   #4
Licensed electrician

fire hazard???

They don't always need the extra housing. You need to check to see if the housing are IC rated.

If they are not IC rated you will need a 3" clearance around the fixture. This will increase your energy costs do to heat and cold leakage.
sheilalr (04-08-2011)
Old 04-08-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

fire hazard???

Thanks for your help everyone. I will check the housing and see the rating. Meanwhile, I have spent much time researching this online and found that Amazon.com sells a product that one can install after the fact to solve my problem. It will cost me about $350 but then I will be able to sleep soundly!
The company is called Tenmat and they sell a recessed light cover for about $15 each. I have already ordered them.

So if you hear of anyone else with this issue, please pass it along.

Thanks again everyone. Have a great weekend.
sheilalr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #6
Electrician's Helper

Send a message via AIM to Pudge565

fire hazard???

If these lights are not IC rated DO NOT use those covers. Here is why it states, "the Tenmat firebox for recessed lighting and downlights acts as a fire barrier, but also serves as a thermal insulator, significantly reducing air flow and heat loss through the recessed ligth fixture." This is the reason that the non IC lights can not be insulated so that air can circulate around the fixture and cool it off.

Tags
fire hazard, installation, pot lights