Finishing The Basement - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Finishing the Basement

I have a home in Marion Ia. someone already stripped the concrete walls with 2"x2". I want to install electrical outlets that are shallow enough to fit into the 1.5" wall space. Does this meet code in Marion?

Advertisement

wibass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Finishing the Basement

If you are finishing your basement, adding a shower and running some electrical....of course you have a permit. Your inspector would be able to answer your question with ease.

Advertisement

send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:36 AM   #3

Finishing the Basement

Yes we pulled the permits. It is know the weekend and I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I did not think about the electrical box size untill we pulled the old drywall off while checking for mold. When they drywalled before they installed some face boxes but no wiring? There had been a leak at the old ptio door that ran into the basement that we fixed 2 years ago. Thanks

Last edited by wibass; 06-09-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Finishing the Basement

A single gang electrical box that fits in a 1.5 in deep space is not large enough to have wires and a device in it by Natioan Code. The volume for these boxes will take up to 3 number 12 or 3 number 14 (individual wires are counted for this not cables). This leaves no volume for the device or clamps.

I suggest you use 4 inch square boxes, and single gang mud rings.
Old 06-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Master Electrician

Finishing the Basement

http://www.carlon.com/Master%20Catal...0Boxes_2B1.pdf

Try the 4" square. It's what we would use in this circumstance. 18 cubic inches, plus the ring
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 09:09 AM   #6

Finishing the Basement

Thanks for the information. I have another question about bathroom wiring. I know the bathroom ground fault has to be on a seperate circuit for the gfi outlet. This bathroom will have another wall outlet and a an exhaust fan. Can the other 2 items be on the same circuit as the gfi? Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 09:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Finishing the Basement

If can feed all recepticle outlets in the bath room off of the 20 amp bath gfi circuit. If you feed other things in the bath room, (like the fan) then this circuit must be dedicated to one bath room. You will not be able to use this circuit to feed other bath rooms gfi recepticles.

Wow that is confusing. LOL. The way you are planning it is what I would do. You could even put the lights on this same circuit, but I would not. I would leave them on a lighting circuit.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #8
Master Electrician

Finishing the Basement

Is the "other wall outlet" a receptacle? If so, it must be GFCI protected as well. All receptacles in bathrooms are required to have GFCI protection.
These can be on the same circuit. The entire bathroom can be on the same 20 amp circuit, but it has to be limited to this bath only.
Personally, I'm with jwhite. I would have the lights on the lighting circuit, and the fan as well, UNLESS the fan needed GFCI protection. I would then use the bath GFCI to protect it.
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Finishing the Basement

As a personal comment, since you are starting from scratch, if there is a chance that someone, someday, will be using a hair dryer in this bathroom, I would put the GFI receptacle by the mirror on its own 20a circuit. Those things (hair dryers) are getting friggin huge, power-wise. The original circuit in my master bath was 15a, and my wife could only run her hair dryer and the lights over the mirror. If anything else on the circuit was on, it tripped the breaker. She got very tired of walking down two flights of stairs to the box in the basement to reset it - so I had to add another circuit, just for her hair dryer.

At least she knows how to reset a tripped breaker.

Advertisement

pjpjpjpj is offline   Reply With Quote