Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

finish elecrical

OK, maybe the fact that I'm asking this will lead you to believe I can't handle it, but I really want to know exactly what would be entailed in finish (as opposed to rough-in) electrical. I have, what I consider, an astonishingly high estimate for the finish work compared to the rough-in. I won't touch doing the rough-in, but feel confident I can put up a light / switch. And no, I don't believe we have any code reasons why I couldn't!

micki141414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
Electrician

finish elecrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by micki141414 View Post
OK, maybe the fact that I'm asking this will lead you to believe I can't handle it, but I really want to know exactly what would be entailed in finish (as opposed to rough-in) electrical. I have, what I consider, an astonishingly high estimate for the finish work compared to the rough-in. I won't touch doing the rough-in, but feel confident I can put up a light / switch. And no, I don't believe we have any code reasons why I couldn't!

Everyone is different on the roughs, mine are easy to finish, just install the devices, lights and flip the breakers,

BUT... some are alot more involved depending on what was completed during the rough, you could have dozens of splices to make up, boxes to cut in for light fixtures, tie all the new circuits into the panel, troubleshooting if things were forgotten or made up incorrectly.

There is no complete answer to your question, sorry I cant help.

chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #3

finish elecrical

On the first day of my electrical career, my boss dropped me off to trim out a house with a handful of tools and a 10 minute introductory course. It aint rocket science.

I do consider it unusual that you got a seperate bid for rough and trim. It seems unlikely. There is probably more to this story.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #4

finish elecrical

How would this work out on the permit process? I had to have a rough inspection and a final electrical.

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Electrician

finish elecrical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_602z View Post
How would this work out on the permit process? I had to have a rough inspection and a final electrical.

Gary

Two permits, two inspections.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #6

finish elecrical

You might get separate bids for rough and finish/trim electrical because there are two inspections.

Roughly (no pun intended) speaking, rough electrical is the part that is done before you put up the drywall or other wall covering.

In my city there is one permit and two inspections. Rough included the wire nutting (since) finish inspection was done with all the cover places in place and (in my case) the inspector did not take off a cover plate at random to see what I did.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-14-2009 at 09:22 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #7

finish elecrical

As for the inspection question, welcome to the life of living somewhere that doesn't have building inspections. Our county doesn't have a building code, hence no inspections. Sounded crazy to me too, but I asked three times when I got the building permit.
micki141414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:31 PM   #8

finish elecrical

Does your place come with a warranty---it would probably void it or insurance might not cover it.Most electrical co. make ther money on the finish,its fairly easy,but make sure you get the panel right.

drdon51 is offline   Reply With Quote