Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Finding the right switch for a custom light project

I have big, big ideas for building my young son a loft bed. Adding the custom lights I imagined is turning out more complicated than anything else. Basically, I'd like to rig the bed to light up in a few different spots - like a space ship.

My first idea was to get toggle switches with cool, red safety covers on them. I found some, but any switches I find that aren't just ho-hum wall switches have ratings that don't match anything I'm familiar with.

For example, the ones I found say:
"
The 20 amp, ON / OFF toggle switches with handle almost anything you throw at it and features a metal front housing and toggle and a high impact plastic shell with screw terminals for the easiest and most versatile installations. The switches can be used for any 12 volt, 125 volt or 250 volt systems without worry."

Can I just buy an LED light set (strips, round pucks, or whatever), splice the switch into the cord (and put all that in nice, metal boxes, etc), then plug into the wall and be good to go? I'd like to avoid the bed burning down the first time I hit the switch. I've installed plenty of fixtures, fans and whatever, but I never had to worry about matching up the different parts from scratch. Any help is appreciated.

BayleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

This switch will work. Make all connections in junction boxes with a cover and you should be okay. Be sure any exposed wiring is protected from damage by objects and kids and pets. Possible run the wires inside wire mold. This is a surface wiring method that will protect all connections and wiring.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:15 AM   #3

Best news I got all day! Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

I love the idea to light his bed like a space ship - what kid wouldn't love that?

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #5

Let's see how it works out. If it doesn't turn out to be a case of my imagination outpacing my carpentry skill, I'll post pics and be proud. If you never hear from me again I'll re-register with a different user name to hide my shame.