Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
When is fishing season?

Share |

A few questions regarding GFCI AND AFCI protection

I have been doing some searching on the net about these AFCI/GFCI comb breakers. I can't find a link to information about them, nor could I find anything on Eaton's website... but I read about several people talking about them.

Some say there is absolutly no need for them, some say they are only there to provide a "warm fuzzy feeling" for the homes that have them.

Personally, I would like to provide as much protection as possible, even if it is sometimes above and beyone what is required. Part of me even just wants that "warm and fuzzy feeling". I do not, however, want to spend my money on totally useless crap.

We are starting the planning process of the house we are going to build, and I want to be well educated in my choices. We are 90% owner/builder, so I will be doing the vast majority of the work.

Also, Is it code compliant for SABC (or any other cct that requires GFCI like garage, basement, etc) to be protected by GFCI at the breaker, as opposed to with a GFCI recep? One think I was thinking of (based on the design of the house we want to build) is the loadcenter will be on the opposite end of the house as the kitchen, and would like to do MWBC for as much as possible. Would it be financially wise to do do this with a 2 pole GFCI breaker and 12/3 wiring and all standard receps (as opposed to 2 seperate 20AMP breakers, 2 runs of 12/2, 2 GFCI outlets)?

Do they make 2 pole AFCI breakers?

I would like to use as many MWBC as possible to cut down on the amount of wire used as well as labor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
I have been doing some searching on the net about these AFCI/GFCI comb breakers. I can't find a link to information about them, nor could I find anything on Eaton's website... but I read about several people talking about them.
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Market...ters/index.htm

Quote:
Some say there is absolutly no need for them, some say they are only there to provide a "warm fuzzy feeling" for the homes that have them.
I agree.

Quote:
Also, Is it code compliant for SABC (or any other cct that requires GFCI like garage, basement, etc) to be protected by GFCI at the breaker, as opposed to with a GFCI recep?
Either is fine.

Quote:
One think I was thinking of (based on the design of the house we want to build) is the loadcenter will be on the opposite end of the house as the kitchen, and would like to do MWBC for as much as possible. Would it be financially wise to do do this with a 2 pole GFCI breaker and 12/3 wiring and all standard receps (as opposed to 2 seperate 20AMP breakers, 2 runs of 12/2, 2 GFCI outlets)?
Use 12/3 and put two GFI devices at the beginning of each circuit at the split. I do this all the time.

Quote:
Do they make 2 pole AFCI breakers?
Yes, C-H does in their BR series and I think others do as well.

Quote:
I would like to use as many MWBC as possible to cut down on the amount of wire used as well as labor.
Good call.

Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #3
When is fishing season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Petey View Post
Quote:
I agree.
Which part do you agree on, there is no need or it's nice to have that warm fuzzy feeling?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Which part do you agree on, there is no need or it's nice to have that warm fuzzy feeling?
Really both. There is no need for them unless you want the warm and fuzzy feeling.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
When is fishing season?

Would there be any problems with using the conbo breakers for SABC?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #6

I can't see that they would a problem if used anywhere in the house.
At least no more of a problem than before.